pronunciation - comb, combing

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Grammar / Gramática Español-Inglés' started by Lourpv, Jun 21, 2007.

1. Lourpv

Lourpv Senior Member

Valencia
    Spain, Catalan and Spanish
    ¿Cómo es la pronunciación de "comb"? ¿es /koum/ o /kom/?
    ¿y la de "combing"? me suena raro sin la b pero debe ser así. ¿/kouming/? ¿/koming/?

Gracias.

2. Basenjigirl Senior Member

English, USA
    comb (koum)
    combing (koming)

3. Dlyons

Dlyons Senior Member

Dublin
    English - Ireland
    /kom/ (with a long "o")
    /koming/ (with a long "o")

"Comb" rhymes with "home", or "foam", "gnome" (isn't English difficult!)

4. Lourpv

Lourpv Senior Member

Valencia
    does "combing" rhyme with "bombing?

5. Cubanboy

Cubanboy Senior Member

Cuba
    Spanish
  6. Pelgar Senior Member

USA English
    Hi Lourpv,
    No "combing" does not rhyme with "bombing."
    "Combing" does rhyme with the Spanish "como"

I hope this helps,

Pelgar

7. cvilla Senior Member

Costa Rica, Spanish
    "Standard" English pronunciation should be:
    comb /koum/
    combing /kouming/

But for "combing," that'll depend on the region. Some americans simply speak fast enough for changing /kouming/ to /koming/.

That also happens in Spanish (and highly depends on the country).

8. Cubanboy

Cubanboy Senior Member

Cuba
    Spanish
  9. cvilla Senior Member

Costa Rica, Spanish
    Don't try to make English words rhyme with Spanish words. People usually learn to pronounce the English words with a thick Spanish accent; making it harder for them to properly communicate.

10. Dlyons

Dlyons Senior Member

Dublin
    English - Ireland
    No, the "b" is silent in "combing" but not in "bombing"

11. cvilla Senior Member

Costa Rica, Spanish
    Combing rhymes with roaming.

12. Arrius

Arrius Senior Member

Spain
    English, UK
    In standard BE or RP (Received Pronunciation), which I speak more or less, the B is definitely not pronounced in bombing. In the Midlands and the North of England I believe it is pronounced, (they also pronounce a G after the ng in flinging which we Southerners do not: /fling-ging/). I take your word for it that you also pronounce bombing in this way whatever you do with flinging.
    The O in bomb is an open one like that of Tom or from. But the O of comb and combing is different not only in length by also in nature like the O sound in loan and bone. For the standard British pronunciation of these it is better to aim at a pure vowel rather than a diphthong: ko:m and ko:ming, even if you don't quite achieve it.
    I have just tried in vain to hear Cubanboy's audio link. but the phonetic transcript of comb on this site confirms what I have said in the previous sentence.

13. Pelgar Senior Member

USA English
    Hi cvilla,
    Would you say that the opposite is true also? I am trying to learn Spanish and I do a lot of this. Every time I encounter a new word I try to relate the sounds to syllables in English words. Do you consider this a bad approach?

Thank you,

Pelgar

14. cvilla Senior Member

Costa Rica, Spanish
    Yep, my friend! I learned English "all by myself," and it's been a very difficult process. Trying to sound "american" has been a pain in the you-know-what, mostly because long ago I thought I was pronouncing words the right way... until I hit the wall. Americans told me, "I don't understand you"... guess why! Yes, cause of the phenomenon we're talking about.

Then I decided to focus on emulating the sounds that are foreign to me. I gradually improved my pronunciation, and then I added the "accent" factor to the equation. Nowadays I speak with a very american accent... Maybe it's not 100% american, but it's like 90% or more, and americans feel pretty comfortable when speaking with me, cause they totally understand me.

The problem when you relate Spanish sounds to English sounds is that you'll end up using English sounds instead of those of the target language. This will make your Spanish sound "weird," and it will force Spanish speakers to pay much more attention to you just to try to understand what you say.

Accents play a very important role in the language learning process... They should not be overlooked. :D

15. Lourpv

Lourpv Senior Member

Valencia
    Thank you so much for your replies. Cubanboy, your links are very useful for all the other words I didn't know how to pronounce. But I can't find the sound of any gerunds, only infinitives of verbs.

Thanks everybody. Now I know how to pronounce "combing". :)