pronunciation: decade

• natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    I'm sure I have heard the occasional British speaker say dɪ'keɪd. Most say 'dɛkeɪd.

Einstein

UK, English
    I’ve only ever heard DECKade in US English.
    Thats what I thought. Where there's a diffrence in stress, AmE tends to put it earlier than BrE, so if anyone says dɪ'keɪd it's more likely to be a Brit. JFK notwithstanding.

PS Well, that's my personal opinion! I see that Loob's link says something different...

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    US English/Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    If diCADE exists in American English, it’s rare or outdated or something. I’ve never heard it and it sounds outrageously bizarre.

Loob, I wouldn’t put too much stock in that Wikipedia page. It has a B1 superscript for “decade,” indicating that “the pronunciation given as AmE is also the most common variant in BrE.”

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    I just read through that thread, Loob, and didn’t find a single post supporting the idea/claim that diCADE is used in US English. Maybe I missed it?

Loob

English UK
    Now I read that Wiki page again in slower time, it seems to be saying that both AmE and BrE use first syllable stress on decade.
    I just read through that thread, Loob, and didn’t find a single post supporting the idea/claim that diCADE is used in US English. Maybe I missed it?
    I don't think I said it it did, did I? :confused:

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    Now I read that Wiki page again in slower time, it seems to be saying that both AmE and BrE use first syllable stress on decade.
    Ah, yes! It says that British English stresses the second syllable while American English stresses the first, BUT that "the pronunciation given as AmE is also the most common variant in BrE." This basically squares with Einstein's intuitions.

(I had just assumed it said the opposite about which variety stresses which syllable, since that's what you said it said, so I didn't read that part closely. :D)
    I don't think I said it it did, did I? :confused:
    Not explicitly, but in the context, I thought that's what you were suggesting.

Loob

English UK
    No, I was just pointing out that there was a previous thread on the same topic.

Apologies for having misled people over the Wiki article. :oops:

kentix

English - U.S.
    I would imagine every AE speaker who listens to that JFK speech instantly notices that pronunciation of "decade" because it's so unusual. It was either part of his oratory or a slip of the tongue.

Brian II

Chinese
    < Video link removed. Cagey, moderator >

The Duke of Windsor pronounced it as di'keid (at the end of the video, <-->), so I guess it used to be the correct pronunciation?

Last edited by a moderator:
    < Previous | Next >