Pronunciation: Depay

< Previous | Next >

LoveVanPersie

Mandarin, Hakka
Hello! Do you know if the ay of Dutch footballer Memphis Depay's surname pronounced /ɑi̯/ or /i̯/?

In the article Dutch orthography Wikipedia says ay is pronounced /i̯/, but in the article Memphis Depay it is transcribed /ɑi̯/. I have found a video on YouTube where he pronounced the name himself: Blessuretijd met Memphis Depay en Quincy Promes | ZAPPSPORT at 0:17. Is the a long or short? :confused:

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
  • Peterdg

Dutch - Belgium
    Is it hard even for Dutch native speakers to hear the difference between /ɑi̯/ and /aːi̯/?
    The difference between a long and a short "a" is only relevant where it is relevant for the meaning. In a foreign name, it is not relevant.

There is a general misconception that these differences (between long and short vowels) are objective. They are not. You have to look at them in the context in which they appear. In this foreign name, there is no meaningful context, so it does not make sense to talk about a short or a long "a". It's something in between, or, a long "a", or a short "a". It doesn't really matter.

Let's consider an example.

"Bram" is a first name in Dutch (short "a").
    "Braam" is a kind of a plant in Dutch (a long "a")

But if you want to call "Bram" to know where he is, you would shout: "Braaaaaaaam, where are you?" and then "Bram" is suddenly pronounced with a long "a" and you certainly don't mean to shout at the plant.

Last edited:

Red Arrow

Dutch - Belgium
    But if you want to call "Bram" to know where he is, you would shout: "Braaaaaaaam, where are you?" and then "Bram" is suddenly pronounced with a long "a" and you certainly don't mean to shout at the plant.
    In some places such as Antwerp, Amsterdam and Utrecht, yes. Bram is pronounced [bram] and "Braaaaam" is pronounced [bra:m].
    In most other accents, including Standard Dutch, Bram is pronounced [brɑm] and "Braaaaaam" is pronounced [brɑ:m], not [bra:m]. It doesn't sound like the plant!

The only exception to this is the word amai. Most Flemish accents lack the French diphtongue [ai] and have to substitute it with either [ɑi] or [a:i]. I can think of 4 ways to say this word. This doesn't happen with native words like fraai.

It is noticeable, however, that Dutch has only two words with [ɔi]: hoi and toitoitoi, both of which form a minimal pair with [o:i] in hooi and tooi, respectively.

Last edited:

LoveVanPersie

Mandarin, Hakka
    Thanks for your information!

It is noticeable, however, that Dutch has only two words with [ɔi]: hoi and toitoitoi, both of which form a minimal pair with [o:i] in hooi and tooi, respectively.
    Can hoi be pronounced with /oːi̯/? Besides /ɦɔi̯/, Dutch Wiktionary also transcribes / hoj /.
    Are the arena name Ahoy and the interjection ahoi pronounced /aːˈɦɔi̯/, also with /ɔi̯/? (Are they cognate from English ahoy?)

Red Arrow

Dutch - Belgium
    hooi can be pronounced /ɦo:i/ or /hoi/. ([ɔ:i] with a strong Flemish Brabantian accent)
    hoi is always pronounced /ɦɔi/ as far as I know. I am not aware of all Dutch accents in the Netherlands.

Hoi and ahoi are indeed related.
    Source: Zoekresultaten

< Previous | Next >