pronunciation: did you / could you

hcanbyrm

Turkish
Hi. I have a question about pronunciation.

DID(g) you
COULD(g) you

Many of rappers or hood movies I hear that people use g between these words. Is that slang pronunciation?

• AnythingGoes

English - USA (Midwest/Appalachia)
    It's not natural to insert a /g/ sound there. We usually pronounce "did you" like didja and "could you" like couldja. Is that what you're hearing?

hcanbyrm

Turkish
    It's not natural to insert a /g/ sound there. We usually pronounce "did you" like didja and "could you" like couldja. Is that what you're hearing?
    EXACTLY! didja couldja I am confused about What If I use it in a job interview, will it be any negative behave against the boss?

Because I heard did you, could you rather than didja couldja people use it in music songs (in hard raps) and especially black people use it.

Last edited:

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    "Didja" is a bad pronunciation of "did you". Similarly "cudja" is a bad way to say "could you". It is never a good idea to use poor pronunciation at a job interview. It makes you sound not-well-educated and not-smart.

Rap songs often use a great deal of slang and "bad grammar" and "poor pronunciation". In general, rap music imitates poor uneducated ghetto people. Rap is never about upper-class, college-educated people (of any race).

hcanbyrm

Turkish
    "Didja" is a bad pronunciation of "did you". Similarly "cudja" is a bad way to say "could you". It is never a good idea to use poor pronunciation at a job interview. It makes you sound not-well-educated and not-smart.

Rap songs often use a great deal of slang and "bad grammar" and "poor pronunciation". In general, rap music imitates poor uneducated ghetto people. Rap is never about upper-class, college-educated people (of any race).
    That was the expected answer. Thank you so much. I will never use cudja didja xxxja anymore. :)

much_rice

English - American
    The original question wasn't about "didja" and "couldja" but "didju" and "couldju." At least that's how I interpreted it, considering he spelled out the word "you" each time. My post #2 was referring to those pronunciations, and I stand by it.

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    For some people a combination of the 'd' and 'y' sound automatically gives you a 'j' sound, eg Duration --> Juration

This is the same phenomenon.

< Previous | Next >