such as dissect and dessert
dis-sect should never read die-sect
and
des-sert should never read dizurt
Does anyone know reasons?

• Loob

English UK
    Hello jkerchek

I'm sorry, I don't think I understand your question.

"Dissect" can have the first-syllable pronunciation "die"; and "dessert" definitely has a /z/ sound in it.

Can you explain what your question is?:)

--------

Added
    : Ah, are you saying that English spelling is strange? If so, the answer is - yes, it is:D.

Added2
    : And if you're wondering why it's strange, the main reason is that English spelling is to a very large extent historical - it reflects the way English used to be pronounced in the past....

Last edited:

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    Yes, <ss> is generally pronounced /s/. Unfortunately, there are exceptions when /z/ is required: dessert (as you mentioned), scissors, possess and dissolve are the main ones.

I don't really know the history of the pronunciation change, but dessert as a loan-word from French, it would presumably have had /s/ at first.

jkerchek

Cantonese
    Yes, <ss> is generally pronounced /s/. Unfortunately, there are exceptions when /z/ is required: dessert (as you mentioned), scissors, possess and dissolve are the main ones.

I don't really know the history of the pronunciation change, but dessert as a loan-word from French, it would presumably have had /s/ at first.
    In French, dessert is pronounced as [desεr]

jkerchek

Cantonese
    Thanks, I didn't even know there are so many exceptions.

< Previous | Next >