pronunciation: fond of...

< Previous | Next >
  • Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    Well, "drop" is perhaps too strong, in that I wouldn't consciously choose to drop the 'v' sound before a consonant, as in the cat example, but it would naturally come close to vanishing.
    In the vowel cases, though, I think it would always remain audible when I pronounce it.

fondo cats
    fondo vowls
    fondo veels

I'm not sure what kind of fondness you mean:
    I've eaten eel a few times, and it was OK. I have never knowingly tasted cat or owl.

entangledbank

English - South-East England
    If we dropped [v] before a vowel we'd have to then add another consonant, normally [r] in BrE, and we don't say fond o'r owls.

frip

English
    Are you asking whether it is permissible to drop the /v/, or are you just taking a straw poll of how individual people would say these phrases?

entangledbank

English - South-East England
    Compare where [v] dropping is so common that there are even alternative spellings to indicate it: kind of, sort of, and couple of. But with these before a vowel, I still have to say the [v]:

It's kind of obvious.
    It's sort of awkward.
    We had a couple of embarrassing moments.

The alternative, 'kinda' followed by a glottal stop, is more awkward to pronounce. I don't think I ever would. And 'kinda' is merely a spelling of 'kind of', not a new word: if it was actually a word, we would use an [r] between it and another vowel in BrE, and I don't think we ever do.

raymondaliasapollyon

Chinese
    Compare where [v] dropping is so common that there are even alternative spellings to indicate it: kind of, sort of, and couple of. But with these before a vowel, I still have to say the [v]:

It's kind of obvious.
    It's sort of awkward.
    We had a couple of embarrassing moments.

The alternative, 'kinda' followed by a glottal stop, is more awkward to pronounce. I don't think I ever would. And 'kinda' is merely a spelling of 'kind of', not a new word: if it was actually a word, we would use an [r] between it and another vowel in BrE, and I don't think we ever do.
    Are you suggesting that even kinda is pronounced as kind of when it is followed by a vowel?
    E.g. you'd pronounce kinda obvious as kind of obvious.

Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    I wouldn't. When it's written as "kinda", it's wrong to add a 'v' sound that isn't in the script. The answer is not to write "kinda" in the first place!

Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    If I were in the habit of eliding the /v/ sound before consonant sounds, then yes, I would say "fonda you", because "you" can be considered to start with a consonant /j/ sound. No glottal stop would be required when saying this.

kentix

English - U.S.
    I would say "kind of obvious" without the f/v sound if I was saying it in quick casual speech. I would also tend to mostly drop the 'b' sound, too. It's there but it's minimal, just a little hint of pursing in the lips.

It's kinda o(b)vious.

The slower I go, the more those sounds come back.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >