IRAJ2000

Persian
I got confused by this test:
Which word has a different "oo" sound?
a) food (my answer)
b) good
c) book (answer key)
d) look
I told my teacher that you're mistaken, but he didn't believe me.
Any helps? Appreciated.

• RM1(SS)

English - US (Midwest)
    I agree - the answer is "food." I don't think I've ever heard anyone say any of those other words with that vowel.

Hildy1

English - US and Canada
    I agree with the answers above. "Food" is the word with the different vowel sound.

theartichoke

English - Canada
    I'm with "food," too, but this seems like a question that's a bit too accent-dependent for a strict right/wrong answer. I'm pretty sure I've heard accents where "food" rhymes with "good." And I work with someone from Seattle who pronounces the vowel sound in "roof" the same as the vowel in "good," whereas for me "roof" has the same vowel as "food."

Am still annoyed by a British-authored test I took years ago where I was expected to say that a word meaning "the mouth of a river" [i.e., "source"] rhymed with "sauce."

Wordsmyth

Native language: English (BrE)
    I'm with "food," too, but this seems like a question that's a bit too accent-dependent for a strict right/wrong answer. [...]
    I agree, art. As teddy pointed out, with some accents the different one would be "good" – and not just in Yorkshire; I know several people from different parts of Lancashire who do the same.

And in some Scottish accents, the answer would be "none of them", because "food" has effectively the same pronunciation as the other three.

OK, for most English speakers the answer is "food", but it's not universal.

Ws:)

london calling

UK English
    I agree with Wordsmyth. Years ago, when I was still teaching English, I remember a friend of mine from Edinburgh telling me she was teaching pronounciation using a book called 'Ship or Sheep'. This was accompanied by a tape: the pronounciation was Standard Southern British English, which is what I speak. The chapter dedicated to the pronounciation of words such as food, good, book and look posed something of a problem to my friend, who pronounced them all in an identical manner (i.e. they all rhyme with the standard English pronounciation of 'food').;)

PS. I too agree your teacher is wrong. In Standard English the word that is pronounced differently is food.

Wordsmyth

Native language: English (BrE)
    [...] The chapter dedicated to the pronounciation of words such as food, good, book and look posed something of a problem to my friend, who pronounced them all in an identical manner (i.e. they all rhyme with the standard English pronounciation of 'food').;) [...]
    Now that's interesting, LC. Maybe it's an Edinburgh thing. The Scottish accents I was thinking of (more then one, I think, but I'm not sure from which regions) have "food" with a short 'oo' like standard English "good" (or book, or look): something close to /fʊd/ rather than /fuːd/.

Ws:)

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    I got confused by this test:
    Which word has a different "oo" sound?
    a) food (my answer)
    b) good
    c) book (answer key)
    d) look
    I told my teacher that you're mistaken, but he didn't believe me.
    Any helps? Appreciated.
    If this is all the context you have, then you should assume that the question is asking about standard English, e.g. as spoken on the BBC or American news services: your answer is correct.

< Previous | Next >