pronunciation: gregarious

< Previous | Next >

Zsuzsu

Hungarian
Hi there,

I have found two different pronunciations of the word "gregarious" - is it only British and American difference or something else I am not aware of?
In my Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary (1989) it is: gri'geəriəs
Here (The FreeOnlineDictionary) it is: EDIT: sorry, I can't copy the symbols. Will you please follow the link to the dictionary...
(The two dictionaries use different transcription systems but this is not the only difference: where is the stress, for example?)

Thanks a lot!

• Franzi

(San Francisco) English
    Those two transcriptions look like they could be for (roughly) the same pronunciation. I'm not clear on whether the Oxford one is putting the apostrophe before or after the stressed syllable. I stress the 'gar' syllable.

Zsuzsu

Hungarian
    Oh, thanks Franzi, now I see! I think I misread the transcription provided by the Free Online Dictionary. Now I think the only difference is that the Britons pronounce 'gar' geər, while the American gær.
    No more questions, thanks a lot!

Franzi

(San Francisco) English
    Now I think the only difference is that the Britons pronounce 'gar' geər, while the American gær.
    No more questions, thanks a lot!
    I'm sure there are some differences (and, of course, every country has many accents), but I don't think the free dictionary is using â for æ. The example given in the pronunciation guide is 'care', which is much closer to 'eə'.

< Previous | Next >