Pronunciation: Levy / Levi Strauss

< Previous | Next >

Hela

Tunisia - French
Dear members,

Would you please tell me how I should pronounce the proper name "Levy / Levi" Strauss ? Is it /li:vi/ or /li:vai/ ? The brand "Levi's" is pronounced /li:vais/, is it not?

Thank you for your help
Hela

• kashiwazakinenji

Español
    Dear members,

Would you please tell me how I should pronounce the proper name "Levy / Levi" Strauss ? Is it /li:vi/ or /li:vai/ ? The brand "Levi's" is pronounced /li:vais/, is not it?

Thank you for your help
    Hela
    I know the brand is pronounced /lee/vis...

Matching Mole

England, English
    You have the jeans brand correct, however, beyond that there is no single pronunciation of the name(s). It varies according to the custom of the individual family that bears it, and you will almost certainly have to ask in each case.

Hela

Tunisia - French
    When talking about the brand should it be written "Levy's" or "Levi's" ?
    As for the name of its creator "Levi" (or "Levy"?) should its first vowel sound be a long /i/ as in "lee" and the second vowel sound "vi" a short /i/ as in "lit" ?

daviesri

USA English
    Levi's - The "e" is pronounced the same as the "e" sound in "Lee"
    The "i" is pronounced like the word "eye" as in the thing you see with.

mplsray

Dear members,

Would you please tell me how I should pronounce the proper name "Levy / Levi" Strauss ? Is it /li:vi/ or /li:vai/ ? The brand "Levi's" is pronounced /li:vais/, is it not?

Thank you for your help
    Hela
    The man who founded the clothing manufacturer was Levi Strauss, born Löb Strauß, so that Levi was an Americanized form. The common American pronunciation of Levi at the time was /li:vai/. The Century Cyclopedia, for example, gives that pronunciation alone for the biblical personage.

If he had been French or Italian, on the other hand, the name might well have been pronounced /leivi:/, as the Lévi in the surname of the Belgian-French anthropologist Claude Lévi-Strauss is now pronounced.

Daniel López

Spanish
    Hello,

What about "Strauss"? /stro:z/ or /straus/. I think that for the jeans is /livai stro:z/ while the anthropologist the pronunciation is not anglicised: /levi straus/, even for the waltz composer "J. Strauss"

< Previous | Next >