pronunciation: Molotov cocktail

perpend

Banned
American English
Inspired by the Kalashnikov thread (in which the way I pronounce(d) it coincided with several Americans), how do we say this: Molotov cocktail ?

Phonetically, for me, it would rhyme with: Bawl-o-trough

M-W says: \ˈmä-lə-ˌtȯf-, ˈmȯ-, ˈmō-, -ˌtȯv-\

Which is all greek to me. :)

• natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    Yes, I think there's only one normal pronunciation in BrE. Our dictionary gives the 'Greek' version of Molotov cocktail /mɒlətɒfˈkɒkteɪl/ - in other words, ewie's version. :)

I'm surprised there are so many alternatives in AmE. The AmE version of Macmillan's gives /ˈmɑlətɔf ˌkɑkteɪl/ or /ˈmoʊlətɔv ˌkɑkteɪl/, so the variation is between the first vowel in AmE cot or coat, and whether <v> is pronounced /f/ or /v/.

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    Yes, I think there's only one normal pronunciation in BrE. Our dictionary gives the 'Greek' version of Molotov cocktail /mɒlətɒfˈkɒkteɪl/ - in other words, ewie's version. :)

I'm surprised there are so many alternatives in AmE. The AmE version of Macmillan's gives /ˈmɑlətɔf ˌkɑkteɪl/ or /ˈmoʊlətɔv ˌkɑkteɪl/, so the variation is between the first vowel in AmE cot or coat, and whether <v> is pronounced /f/ or /v/.
    The first and last o in Molotov are a vowel sound that is quite variable in AmE and often does not resemble the BrE standard hot vowel. Siri told me so on my iPhone : when I said "podcast" in my BrE accent, she transcribed the o as aw in "pawedcost". I have difficulty getting my (American) wife to make this sound.

< Previous | Next >