Pronunciation: my

< Previous | Next >

nguyen dung

Vietnamese
In sentence:'' I lost my job last year'' (Streamline English,Connection,Unit 17). I hear:'' I lost n/oi/ job last year'' with rounded,centered short /o/(or rounded,centered /a/?). Is there an effect of /o/ in the ''job''(or of /o/ in the ''lost''?) to the /ai/ in the ''my'' before?Is there an effect of the ''st'' in the ''lost'' to the ''m'' in the ''my'' and is the ''m'' nearly changed to the ''n''?Or is that my problem with my ear?

• JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    Who are you listening to when you hear this sound? There are many subtle variations in English vowels so that information is critical. (What is Streamline English?)

nguyen dung

Vietnamese
    It is an audio learning English book.It is 2nd book in serie of Streamline English books.Is there any change of the ''m'' after the ''st'' or is it merely the problem with my ear?

Last edited:

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    I very much doubt it. There is a possibility that some will make the t minor or absent (I los' my job) but the m and its vowel would not be affected by the -st. Who is the speaker?

nguyen dung

Vietnamese
    Audio Streamline English.Connection.Unit 17.1st paragraph. I have heard ''n'' clearly but heard ''m'' not clearly and very subtle in this audio book.

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    That doesn't help. Is it a native speaker? An American? A British person? We don't have access to the audio you are telling about so that information doesn't help us.

nguyen dung

Vietnamese
    It is Cambridge book. Maybe it is British speaker applying to go to Australia(Unit 17.Australia house).May I have a permit to point the link on Youtube of the lesson?

Hermione Golightly

British English
    The speaker is English with a quite strong west country accent. He does say something like 'lors moy jawb'. The utralian has an Aussie accent of course but the other two Brits' accents are not very obviously regional to me.

< Previous | Next >