pronunciation: nein, ne, nö, net

Discussion in 'Deutsch (German)' started by JohnUS77, Dec 14, 2006.

1. JohnUS77 Member

USA, English
    Hello all, I was wondering if I could get some assistance with some word pronuncations. First, the colloquial saying \"ne\' (nein) is pronounced as a long E, so, nay. Next, The word nö is pronounce with a long ö, such as schön, (or farshotted, new in English). Furthermore, the wort \"net\" (nicht), pronounced as \"neht\", or in English, the name Nate. Thanks a bunch!

2. DonManuel_CH

DonManuel_CH Senior Member

Bern, Switzerland
    German / Switzerland
    Hi there..
    I hope this helps you a bit:

-Nein is pronounced exactly like your "nine" (9)

-Ne(e); you can either pronounce the "e" shortly or longer (like the word "Schnee" f.e.)

-nö; the ö is the same as in "schön" or "blöd".

-net is pronounced like the english "net" (internet f.e.)
    sometimes people also say "ned" (like the name Ned)

3. JohnUS77 Member

USA, English
    Thanks a bunch, Jon! =)

4. Hutschi

Hutschi Senior Member

Please note, that standard is "nein" (no) or "nicht" (not).
    The other forms are used regionally or in dialects. There is no colloquial standard.

For example:

"Nee" it is pronounced with a long "e" like in "there" but open (without the "r" part) the problem: I think, English does not have this sound, or has it?, I can only render it in English, or it is slightly diphtongized ("Nay").
    "Nee" with a long "ee" is used for example in Saxony.

"Net" (= nicht, en: not) is never used in saxony. I heared it, for example, in South Thuringia.
    In some regions it is "ni" (with a short "i" similar like "i" in "fish")

Note:
    Each of the words has regionally a corresponding non-standard colloquial negation.

The contrary of "nee" is "nu" with a "u" like in "shoe" but very! short. "Nu" means "yes" and is used very often in Saxony, especially in Dresden. Here we have "nee" (no) vs. "nu" (yes) (I heared, this "nu" came originally from the Czech language and is a shortened form from "ano". See also http://www.halleforum.de/viewtopic.php?topic=3688&forum=1&start=50 )