Pronunciation of Дело

stego

Italian
Hi all, total beginner of Russian here. I'm working on alphabet and pronunciation. From what I understand, Дело is stressed on the first syllable, so shouldn't the letter е be pronounced something like /je/ (strong pronunciation)? But, I had a listen on forvo and elsewhere and to me it sounds like /iə/. Isn't /iə/ (roughly) supposed to be the pronunciation of the letter е when it *precedes* the stressed syllable (weak pronunciation)?

• Awwal12

Russian
    Дело is stressed on the first syllable, so shouldn't the letter е be pronounced something like /je/ (strong pronunciation)?
    The "iotated letters" (е, ё, ю, я) represent /j/ + the vowel only word-initially, after vowel letters or after ъ and ь.
    After consonant letters they usually mean that the consonant is soft, if applicable (ш, ж and ц cannot be soft), and followed by the vowel.
    де - /dʲe/ (/dʲ/ + /e/)
    дье - /dʲje/ (/dʲ/ + /j/ + /e/)
    дэ - /de/ (/d/ + /e/)
    However, bear in mind that "e" is orthographically unusual, because
    - it may actually not soften the preceding consonant in many loanwords and foreign names (e.g. "Аден" /áden/ ['adən]);
    - it often stands for "ё".

Stress influences the actual quality of the vowel sound according to the general phonological and phonetic rules (unstressed /e/ undergoes various patterns of reduction depending on the softness of the preceding consonant; may be pronounced as [ɪ], [ɨ̞], [ə] depending on the exact position), but it doesn't directly affect the quality of the consonant and surely cannot affect the presence or absence of the /j/ consonant (because it's pretty much pure orthography).

Last edited:

stego

Italian
    @Awwal12 thank you for your detailed answer. Looks like I need to study phonology a bit more in depth. I'll come back to your answer as I learn more :)

Şafak

Ciao!

Non so il russo così come Awwal, ma ho appena controllato le pronunce di Forvo. Quasi tutti in Forvo pronunciano la parola correttamente (con poche eccezioni). Puoi fidarti della pronuncia registrata di Goldvision.

Se hai bisogno di una spiegazione più completa con i dettagli, ascolta Awwal e altri utenti.

Cordiali saluti,

Last edited: