pronunciation of לנמל

Ali Smith

Urdu - Pakistan
שלום!

אתמול הגעת לנמל התעופה.
Yesterday you arrived at the airport

Is לנמל in this sentence pronounced linmal or lenemal? I think it should be pronounced linmal, but my textbook says it's pronounced lenemal (see attachment). However, it should also be noted that they transliterated ראיתם as raitem instead of reitem, so I wonder if the author(s) can be trusted.

תודה רבה!

Attachments

• Schermata 2020-08-17 alle 3.29.36 PM.png
    Schermata 2020-08-17 alle 3.29.36 PM.png
    19.9 KB · Views: 115
  • JAN SHAR

pashto
    The rule of shwa applies, of course: when you have two shwas in succession, the first one changes into a khireq, unless the first letter is a guttural, in which case it changes into a patach

Ali Smith

Urdu - Pakistan
    But why does the second vowel in נָמֵל change in the construct form? The first one gets reduced, of course.

Ali Smith

Urdu - Pakistan
    Yeah, the same thing happens there:

זָקֵן 'old man' becomes זְקַן־
    נָמֵל becomes נְמַל־

I know why the first vowel gets reduced but I don't know why the second vowel 1. reduces and 2. changes.

Drink

English - New England, Russian - Moscow
    It's a case of Philippi's law. Stressed short i in a closed syllable becomes a (except when it doesn't).

Haskol

Hebrew, English - US/Canada
    To be honest, I think in colloquial Hebrew people who mostly say "lenamal" today.

Drink

English - New England, Russian - Moscow
    To be honest, I think in colloquial Hebrew people who mostly say "lenamal" today.
    I think they say lenamel, no? Maybe I'm not remembering correctly.

But regardless, this discussion is about historical vowels, not modern colloquial pronunciation.