pronunciation of "arc" (verb)

Gavril

English, USA
According to at least one dictionary, the verb arc should be pronounced with a hard "c"-sound in all its forms. Thus, the word arcing (as in, I saw the ship's mast arcing in the wind) would be pronounced [arkiŋ], despite the front vowel following the letter "c".

Does anyone pronounce (or tend to pronounce) the form arcing as [arsiŋ]? How about other forms of the verb arc​?

• GreenWhiteBlue

USA - English
    I don't think anyone would be tempted to mispronounce this as "arsing", for two reasons:
    1) The idea of "arc" as a verb is "to make an arc". As "arc" is never pronounced with a soft C, there is no reason to pronounce the verb derived from it with a soft C.
    2) The pronunciation "arsing" would seem to be derived not from arc, but from arse -- and an arc and an arse are two different things!

gandolfo

English-British
    According to at least one dictionary, the verb arc should be pronounced with a hard "c"-sound in all its forms. Thus, the word arcing (as in, I saw the ship's mast arcing in the wind) would be pronounced [arkiŋ], despite the front vowel following the letter "c".

Does anyone pronounce (or tend to pronounce) the form arcing as [arsiŋ]:eek:? No! How about other forms of the verb arc​?
    arced [ɑːkt] is not for me [ɑː(r)st] ;) that's something else ;)

ewie

English English
    A few years ago I went through a phase of reading an American author named A. A. Attanasio. One of his favourite verbs (to the point that he actually over-used it, I felt) was arc. Every single time I came to arced or arcing I read them as arse, arsing. I expect the reason I made the same mistake over and over is that I just don't come across the verb arc enough for me to 'automatically compute' arced/arcing with a /k/ sound.

EDIT: Ooh! nearly forgot to mention: the only other verbs I can think of off-hand that end in c are panic and picnic. Conjugated forms: panicked, picnicking, etc.

Last edited:

Glenfarclas

English (American)
    Ewie: "Mimic" and "traffic" are other common verbs that add a k here: "Mimicking a gorilla; trafficking in narcotics."

I of course agree with everyone else that "arcing" would only be pronounced with a hard c.

panjandrum

Occasional Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    It probably depends on the context and your familiarity with arcs.
    I don't recall even as an engineering student reading arced, or hearing it pronounced, as arsed. That surprises me, given the reputation of engineering students :)

< Previous | Next >