Pronunciation of "Kinnewald"

< Previous | Next >

Dunav

Bъlgarski
I have a coworker whose last name is Kinnewald. Unfortunately, I do not know how this is pronounced. Where does the stress lie in English? Is it read [k.ɪnɛwɔld], [kɪnɛw.ɑːld], [k.ɪniːwʌld] or what?

Thank you

• panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    What nationality is your co-worker?

As always, the sensible, and very simple, response to your question is to suggest that you ask this person how they would like the name to be pronounced.
    No matter what people here may suggest, this particular instance of the clan Kinnewald may prefer a specific pronunciation - and nothing we say here will tell you what that is.

Dunav

Bъlgarski
    He's American completely but to google the name it seems it is German in provenance.

I would ask him and I think I will if I can, nonetheless could someone suggest how it should be pronounced under the standard american system of pronunciation? I have to present him at a conference but I am not sure whether I will have time to meet him before hand. If I make an egregious error I'd embarrass us both.

Thanks

sdgraham

USA English
    Since there's no standard pronunciation of English words, there's certainly no standard system of pronunciation for foreign names inported into English.

Just do the best you can and smile and say "I hope I pronounced that properly"

Brioche

Australia English
    He's American completely but to google the name it seems it is German in provenance.

I would ask him and I think I will if I can, nonetheless could someone suggest how it should be pronounced under the standard american system of pronunciation? I have to present him at a conference but I am not sure whether I will have time to meet him before hand. If I make an egregious error I'd embarrass us both.

Thanks
    There is no way of knowing how he will pronounce his name. If you cannot ask him directly, then ask one of his friends.

Some people completely anglicise their name, some maintain a pronunciation close to the original language.

Take the name Rothschild for example.
    It is a German name meaning 'red shield' - roth = red, schild = shield
    In Germany it is pronounced Roat Shilt. English speakers have changed it to Roths - Child.

< Previous | Next >