pronunciation of <split it>

DelTang

Persian - Iran
Hi there,
I just want to make sure that the pronunciation of the following phrases are correct in American English

pronouncing "split it" like there's just one it "split"
and also
"next step" like "nekstep"
when I speak fast, linking the sounds of two words together, the last sound of the first word and the first sound of the second word are quite similar; though I am still not sure if it's correct or not.

• dragonbones

English US
    1) pronouncing "split it" like there's just one it "split"
    No. It sounds like splittit (or spliddit but without strong voicing on the 'd').

2) "next step" like "nekstep"
    If spoken very quickly, yes, they can blur together like that but don't try to do it on purpose or it will sound unnatural. It happens naturally with fluency and speed.

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    The two examples are different. The second example has many consonants together, and in fast speech you might simplify things. This isn't the case for split it. Many people might transfer the final /t/ in split to the next syllable and say spli-tit. Whatever it is there is some form of /t/ pronounced, whichever accent you are talking about.

tunaafi

English - British (Southern England)
    Younger speakers of BrE today often use a glottal stop rather than a /t/ between two vowels, as in split it. There are still clearly two syllables.

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    Younger speakers of BrE today often use a glottal stop rather than a /t/ between two vowels, as in split it.
    Just to clarify that I consider the glottal stop a form of /t/, and the /t/ doesn't disappear in split it as it potentially can in next step.

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    In full-speed (normal speed) English, there is no pause separating syllables and no pause separating words. The sounds of one word are immediately followed by the sounds of the next word, as if they were connected.

But that does not mean that you omit any sounds. If a syllable is repeated, you say it 2 times, or even 3 times if needed.

< Previous | Next >