pronunciation of word-initial и after preposition

Lorenc

Italian
I have the impression that when a preposition ending in a (hard) consonant --- such as без, с, из, в, к --- preceeds a word beginning with и, it causes the и to shift to ы. This seems particularly apparent when the и is stressed.
What I'm claiming is that, e.g., в Италии is rather pronounced as Выталии.

Some more example:
в Интернете
играть в игры
рядом с их столом
документы с информацией
визитки с именем
поговорил с итальянцем
посмотрел в иллюминатор
отношения к изменению

Is it really so? It is a regular change?

• Awwal12

Russian
    I have the impression that when a preposition ending in a (hard) consonant --- such as без, с, из, в, к --- preceeds a word beginning with и, it causes the и to shift to ы.
    Undoubtedly so, since they form a single phonetic word with the following word and /и/ does not soften them.

Actually it's the same for all basic prepositions, for example:
    от Ивана [ɐtɨ̞'vanə]

Last edited:

Maroseika

Russian
    This occurs also after prefixes, and after proper Russian ones even spelling changes from и to ы (but not after the loabed prefixes):

предыстория, безынтересный, розыгрыш, подытожить, отымённый, сыздавна;
    дезинформация, контригра, постимпрессионизм, суперинфляция (all is pronunced with ы).

One more case - on the bounder of two parts of complex words: межиздательский, фининспекция, спортинвентарь, and between the words (if pronounced continuousely): пол июня, встретил Ивана (also ы is pronounced).

Lorenc

Italian
    Thanks. Would this hardening be probablе in this fragment:
    он не был вегетарианцем, но симпатизировал им
    Can we say that such a hardening is likely to happen when we have a (past-tense) verb ending in л + a direct object beginning with и?
    How about
    он встал и посмотрел вокруг
    ?

Lorenc

Italian
    Would also the sequence 'как и' (e.g., in как и все другие) be likely to harden to 'какы' ?

< Previous | Next >