Pronunciation: Seth's

< Previous | Next >

NickJunior

Khmer
Hello,
How do you pronounce the word "Seth's"? I know that Seus's is pronounced Seuziz, and fox's is pronounced foxzis. Is Seth's pronounced Sethzis? Thanks ahead of time for your suggestion.

• natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    Only words that end with the 's', 'z', 'ch' or 'j' sounds can trigger an additional syllable. (James's, Liz's, Mitch's, Midge's). Not 'th'. So envie de voyager is right: only one syllable.

iconoclast

english - anglo-irish
    You have in 'Seth's' the juxtaposition of two syllable-final fricatives: /th/ and /s/, which English abhors, pronunciation-wise. What happens is that the first fricative is elided in normal speech, giving us something like /ses/, except that the tongue will still make a movement towards making the /th/, thereby (perhaps) slightly lengthening the vowel. Similar examples are: 'clothes, loathes, deaths, sixths, strengths, tastes', and so on.

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    Iconoclast: maybe there's regional variation? I think I would always pronounce the the 'th' or /θ/ in Seth's - and this might be partly because it's a name. I agree with you absolutely about the lengthening though. When singing, it's a bit of a problem because you want to minimise the length of the consonants. Some of the words you mentioned also have standardly acceptable variant pronunciations:

clothes - /kləʊz/ (rather than /kləʊðz/)- this pronunciation is indicated in some dictionaries
    strengths - /strenθs/ (rather than /streŋθs/) - also indicated in some dictionaries

Thomas Tompion

English - England
    I once had a dog called Seth, so I often had occasion to say things like Seth's bad behaviour, or Seth's farting is becoming a problem. I always gave full value to the first fricative.

Someone stole him from my garden. I still miss him.

< Previous | Next >