pronunciation: sighed

NickJunior

Khmer
Hi,
I'd like to know the pronunciation of the word sighed. Do you say it as /s/ /igh/ /t/ or as /s/ /igh/ /d/? Thanks.

• SleepingLeopard

English - United States (New York)
    Hi Nick,

It's pronounced with a "d" sound. It sounds exactly like the word "side".

As a rule, the past tense "ed" ending only sounds like a "t" when it follows a voiceless sound, like "roped" following the "p", or "liked" following the "k".

Hope that helps.

NickJunior

Khmer
    Hi Nick,

It's pronounced with a "d" sound. It sounds exactly like the word "side".

As a rule, the past tense "ed" ending only sounds like a "t" when it follows a voiceless sound, like "roped" following the "p", or "liked" following the "k".

Hope that helps.

Thanks SleepingLeopard. My problem is to learn how to distinguish between what is a voiced sound and voiceless sound. What I really need to commit to memory is the make a list of all the voiced letters and voiceless letters. Is there a link that I can get a list of those letters, SL?

SleepingLeopard

English - United States (New York)
    Hi Nick,

In general, the sounds p, t, k, f, sh, and s are voiceless, while all vowels and other consonants are voiced, but these are the sounds, not the letters and you can't rely on crazy English spelling.

Also, some spellings like "th" can be voiced or not (voiced in "the", voiceless in "thigh").

If you go to the resources page of the forum, I believe there are sites that allow you to hear nearly any English word spoken.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

NickJunior

Khmer
    Hi Nick,

In general, the sounds p, t, k, f, sh, and s are voiceless, while all vowels and other consonants are voiced, but these are the sounds, not the letters and you can't rely on crazy English spelling.

Also, some spellings like "th" can be voiced or not (voiced in "the", voiceless in "thigh").

If you go to the resources page of the forum, I believe there are sites that allow you to hear nearly any English word spoken.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.
    Thanks SL, you have been very helpful to me.

jamesjiao

New Zealand English and Mandarin Chinese
    Nick

On the topic of identifying a voiceless consonant, the simplest method is to hold your fingers against your Adam's apple (or, in the case of a female, where the Adam's apple would be if you were a male). If it vibrates when you pronounce the sound, it is 'voiced' (such as all the nasal sounds - m, n, ng), otherwise it is 'voiceless'.

NickJunior

Khmer
    Nick

On the topic of identifying a voiceless consonant, the simplest method is to hold your fingers against your Adam's apple (or, in the case of a female, where the Adam's apple would be if you were a male). If it vibrates when you pronounce the sound, it is 'voiced' (such as all the nasal sounds - m, n, ng), otherwise it is 'voiceless'.

Thanks for the neat tip, JamesJiao.

< Previous | Next >