pronunciation: Ssup? (=what's up?)

< Previous | Next >

torito

Spain/Spanish
Hi:

I would like to ask you a very easy question:

The greeting Ssup is pronounced as a s sound or z sound?

Thank you!!!

• PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    It is pronounced "sup?" the sound is 's'

It is a contraction of "wassup?",
    which is itself a contraction of "what is up?",
    which is an American urban colloquialism for "What is happening?"
    which, in its turn is a polite enquiry after the latest general news that the speaker wishes to acquire from his friend.

exgerman

NYC
    English but my first language was German
    Also, in the US at least, one would expect the speaker to be black and male.

sdgraham

USA English
    I'm confused, Torito.

You present a collection of letters that do not exist in English to form a word.

You provide no source (as required by forum rules) and virtually no context (as also required by forum rules.)

If you heard this rather than reading it, you should already know how the speaker pronounced this gibberish. If you read it somewhere, we need to know the context.

And you called it "an easy question!" :eek:

boozer

Bulgarian
    So, it looks this is really a hyper-contracted "What's up?". Then, on the pronunciation part, I would not even begin to understand what was meant if someone, possibly early in the morning, hissed at me /zzup/ with a 'z'. For all I know, I might even turn violent. :D

ewie

English English
    If someone approached me first thing in the morning and said /ssup/, my reply would be, "Sup?! ~ I haven't even had breakfast yet!"

exgerman

NYC
    English but my first language was German
    If someone approached me first thing in the morning and said /ssup/, my reply would be, "Sup?! ~ I haven't even had breakfast yet!"
    Is that because you'd still be too sleepy to notice the lengthened sssss?

Alxmrphi

UK English
    It's quite surprising for me to see a lot of you aren't perfectly used to this.
    I thought at least most of the English speaking population would recognise this (though maybe not use it).

Ewie, you need to hang out chillin' with your hommies more, bro.
    :D:D:D!

ewie

English English
    I'd certainly recognize Sup? or 'Sup? or Whassup? or Whazzup? if it had a bit of context round it, Alx ... just not Ssup? on its own:)

(My hommies are far too busy swooning onto chaise longues etc. to be bothered with stuff like this. As for my homies, well ...)

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >