pronunciation: tastes

< Previous | Next >

rosenrot

Argentina - Español
Hello everybody!
I want to know the pronunciation of "tastes", because I'm not sure about it.
Is it /teists/ or /teistis/?

It seems to me that the second one sounds better, but I'd like to read from someone who knows.
Thanks!

• EdisonBhola

Korean
    Just the 's' is pronounced and not 'es' - tasts (where 'a' is pronounced as in mate, kate)
    In a sentence such as the one below:

It tastes funny.

Do native speakers pronounce the "sts" sound fully (as in "tests" and "scientists"), or do they simply skip the t sound (elision) and pronounce it like a long s sound?

Many thanks!

Last edited:

Uncle Jack

British English
    When I consciously say it I definitely pronounce all the consonants. However, in normal speech I find the 't' disappears, unless I am putting stress on 'tastes'.

dojibear

AE (US English)
    It tastes funny.

Do native speakers pronounce the "sts" sound fully (as in "tests" and "scientists"), or do they simply skip the t sound (elision) and pronounce it like a long s sound?
    I'm an AE speaker. It's difficult to pronounce STS. It is even harder to pronounce STSF. For me, "tastes" is the same as "tests" or "scientists", which can also occur before F:

It tastes funny.
    Are those tests funny?
    Are scientists funny?

When I say these examples, the T usually disappears, but I pronounce the S at least twice as long as usual. For the count of one syllable I am just hissing (saying S):

it-teis-s-fu-nee

So STSF sounds different than STF, as in "They taste funny."

ðei-teis-fu-nee

EdisonBhola

Korean
    So do I. I don't find it difficult. English speakers are used to consonant clusters. They are difficult for speakers whose languages don't permit them.
    Do you or other native speakers have to consciously slow down in order to pronounce such "sts" consonant clusters? :)

I find it impossible to say it without dramatically slowing down.

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    You might want to split up these clusters into two: teɪs-ts. You might also do the same for similar clusters: des-ks, lɪs-ps.

Generally I try to pronounce all the consonants.

< Previous | Next >