pronunciation: When can "-ing" change the word accent?[crash-land / crash landing]

• reno33

English - USA
    It is unclear (to me) what your question is. (I think you may be using the word "accent" incorrectly.) What does "accent" mean to you?

Loob

English UK
    I think I stress both "crash" and "land" in both crash-land and crash-landing. I don't know why the OALD shows the stress for crash-land as it does:(.

Last edited:

ewie

English English
    :thumbsup:For me the primary stress is on land, but the secondary stress on crash is strong too.
    [ˈkræʃ lænd] sounds like an amusement park.

entangledbank

English - South-East England
    I agree the stress on the verb is either double, or primarily on land. That would make it consistent with the noun.

There are general rules about stress of compounds, but as it's unclear whether crash is a verb or a noun in the noun crash landing, it's unclear (to me) whether a rule applies. Even when we have a clear noun, as in emergency landing, either of the two words can have the primary stress. Normally (most commonly) a noun + noun compound has the stress on the first noun, as in 'car crash or a'musement park.

I don't think the ending -ing itself ever causes a change. When it forms a noun, that noun is then (commonly) subject to rules about the stress on compounds containing nouns.

se16teddy

English - England
    [ˈkræʃ lænd] sounds like an amusement park.
    :tick: If "crash-land" really was one word, it would be pronounced like this. At least for phonetics, it is two words.

I suppose that some short adverbs are pronounced very close to a following verb. These are all accented similarly:
    We half-landed. We soft-landed. We crash-landed.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >