Pronunciation: who <do they> call a whopper?

• ewie

English English
    Hullo AntiScam. Depending on the accent and the speed you might hear /huːdðeɪ/, /huːddeɪ/, /huːðeɪ/ or even (as in your case) /huːdeɪ/. You hear all kinds of things in rapid speech, with a good ear:)

AntiScam

Arabic
    Hullo AntiScam. Depending on the accent and the speed you might hear /huːdðeɪ/, /huːddeɪ/, /huːðeɪ/ or even (as in your case) /huːdeɪ/. You hear all kinds of things in rapid speech, with a good ear:)
    Thank you very much ewie
    I notice that /huːðeɪ/ has no /d/ at all. I assume there is no typo, isn't it.

ewie

English English
    No, no typo. If you were writing these out, you might spell them: who'd'they, who'd'dey, who'they and who'dey.

owlman5

English-US
    I think the actor elided "th" in "Who do they" and sounded like " Who d'ay"
    I vaguely recall this scene, AntiScam. I think the actor asked "What do/did they call a Whopper?" The two were discussing the different names the French used for popular fast-food sandwiches.

AntiScam

Arabic
    No, no typo. If you were writing these out, you might spell them: who'd'they, who'd'dey, who'they and who'dey.
    Thanks ewie. The more the better!

I vaguely recall this scene, AntiScam. I think the actor asked "What do/did they call a Whopper?" The two were discussing the different names the French used for popular fast-food sandwiches.
    In fact the subtitles say as you mentioned but what I heard is who, and not what, even with slowing the video down. I didn't know what to do but type what I heard even though a whopper is used to describe objects like a nose as far as I know and remember.

Since I cannot post links, I'll send the link on the private for you to check. The link is from a website and has a small mp3 file in kilo bytes

owlman5

English-US
    I can believe that you thought "what" sounded like "who" in that sentence. Spoken rapidly, it might sound like this: Whuddidthey call a Whopper?

perpend

Banned
    American English
    I think it's "How do they call a Whopper"?

It could come out sounding like: How'day call a Whopper?

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    Since there aren't any grammar rules for what gets removed or changed in rapid speech...there could be a large number of possibilities.

Copyright

American English
    As others have said, I guess there are any number of possibilities, depending on Travolta's character.
    It's Jules (Samuel L. Jackson) who says this, not Vincent (John Travolta).

I just listened and it sounds like "Whutheycall a Whopper?" Meaning "What do they call a Whopper?"

AntiScam

Arabic
    I can believe that you thought "what" sounded like "who" in that sentence. Spoken rapidly, it might sound like this: Whuddidthey call a Whopper?
    The first sound I hear is /hu/ starts with /h/ even after I listened today. That's why the available options are limited to who or how. Some dictionaries list a pronunciation of what that starts with /h/ and sounds like /hwat/ but I've never come across someone talking about it.

As I see it Whuddidithey starts with /hu/. So how come what sounds more like who than what. I mean put yourself in a non-native speaker's shoes, use your hearing skill and not the knowledge of the language to help explain it to us. Any investment here would be very much appreciated.

< Directions to find audio clip removed. Cagey, moderator. >

Last edited by a moderator:

Copyright

American English
    It's not a knowledge of language but an experience of shortened, careless or casual speech here. I wouldn't go any deeper into it than that. So "Whutheycall a Whopper?" can easily be further shortened to ""Hutheycall a Whopper?"

AntiScam

Arabic
    It's not a knowledge of language but an experience of shortened, careless or casual speech here. I wouldn't go any deeper into it than that. So "Whutheycall a Whopper?" can easily be further shortened to ""Hutheycall a Whopper?"
    Thanks Copyright
    Alright I'm not going any further here, but I want to know how you pronounce your example, what is in bold, Whutheycall. The other one is clear to me.

< Previous | Next >