pronunciation - X (es)

rpleimann

USA English
How is "x" pronounced in Spanish?
I recently heard that it should be pronounced as an English "h" (i.e. Mexico, Texas, Oaxaca) but I have also heard it as "ks" (i.e. taxi) or as "sh" (i.e. Ximena).

• Leopold

España - Español
    In Spanish, "x" is generally pronounced as "ks" (taxi, saxofón, exceder, explicar). But that's just the theory. Actually the most normal pronounciation is "gs" or just "s".

Additionally some words are pronounced as "h" in English ( or even "j" in Spanish). That's the old way or writing the sound we now represent with "j" or "g" (English "h"). This only apply to some words, in fact i cannot think of any other examples aside yours (México, Texas...). This words can also be written with "j" (Méjico, Tejas).

For "Ximena". If you pronounce it as "j", then it's the Spanish old way of writing. If pronounced as "sh", it's not Spanish, but Galician or some other language or dialect.

L.

Edher

USA
    Cd. de México, Spanish & English
    Saludos,

I don't believe there's a rule to know when to pronounce "X" as "ks" or "j." So you're just going to have to memorize the words with their corresponding pronunciaton. Nothing personal but it's payback time. Now, you're going to experience what it's like for Spanish-speaking people to learn how to pronounce your language.

P.S. When speaking Spanish, never pronounce "Texas" as "Teksas."

Edher

Fernando

Spain, Spanish
    As Edher and Barbara has said the general rule is x = ks. Sometimes it is pronounced as "gs" or "s" but you will never be wrong if you say ks, EXCEPT with Mexican terms such as México, Oaxaca or Texas, which are spelled according the old Spanish way, as Méjico, Oajaca or Tejas.

By the way, j sound is stronger that "h" in English.

funnydeal

Mexico / Español
    Edher said:
    Saludos,

I don't believe there's a rule to know when to pronounce "X" as "ks" or "j." So you're just going to have to memorize the words with their corresponding pronunciaton. Nothing personal but it's payback time. Now, you're going to experience what it's like for Spanish-speaking people to learn how to pronounce your language.

P.S. When speaking Spanish, never pronounce "Texas" as "Teksas."

Edher

I agree with Edher

In México there are words that are pronounced the "ks" others with "s" and the others with the "h" (j) in spanish sounds.