propédeutique

dimwe

Kiswahili
Bonjour a tous, quelqu'un m'aiderait a traduire "Propédeutique" en anglais.

Je l'ai trsduit en "First year courses" selon sa definition.

Merci d'avance

• OLN

French - France, ♀
    De quel pays parle-t-on (kiswahili me fait penser à un système inspiré du système belge, où ces cours d'introduction et de rafraichissement des connaissances durent quelques semaines) et dans quel pays anglophone le texte sera-t-il lu ?

Peut-être est-ce first year of undergraduate studies, ou refreshing course.

wildan1

Moderando ma non troppo (French-English, CC Mod)
    English - USA
    First year of undergraduate studies is fine. I don't think the higher education systems of North America and the UK break undergraduate studies out in the same way as in France, so this is a description, not an equivalent suggestion for the certificate that « propé » represented back in the times when that (now defunct) course of studies existed.

"Refreshing course" (did you mean "refresher", OLN?) would not really work here. That suggests to me a course a professional takes to get updated on his special field.

PS: The term propédeutique is also used in Swiss and French-speaking Belgian universities as well as by the Catholic Church, but in each case with a different meaning. See here. It will be important to know the specific context of the term before trying to find an equivalent description in English of the intended French meaning.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >