propagate,censor,interdict

< Previous | Next >

celine713

Chinese
To choose the antonyms of the word" propagate",choices are "interdict, annotate,censor,feign",among which ,as I see it ,the answer should be "interdict",but the key offered in the book is "censor ".
Then ,I get confused....

This is what I have found in my dictionary,
"interdict ":To forbid or debar, especially authoritatively
"censor":To examine and expurgate.
propagate:To make widely known; publicize
So ,I suspect whether the provided answer is incorrect or unsatisfactory....

• ashbury

Mandarin
    Hi celine:

Are you preparing for a GRE test or something like that??
    I have also tried a little before, just for interest:) , only to find it so difficult!:(

here is the definition of censor from the M-W dictionary: hope that helps
    : to examine in order to suppress or delete anything considered objectionable <censor the news>; also : to suppress or delete as objectionable <censor out indecent passages>

to censor the news in case that is make widely known(or propagated).
    so censor is the right choice, I think.

And I don't know whether propagate carries any bad connotations, for I know the word "propaganda" is a bad word.

celine713

Chinese
    Hi, asbury !
    I am not preparing this test ,what I am doing is to build my vocabulary,hehe ....
    Well ,thanks for your tips ,it is much deeper,however ,I havont learnt that the "propaganda "is a bad word?

ashbury

Mandarin
    ,I havont learnt that the "propaganda "is a bad word?
    The word is neutral, literally speaking, but it may have some derogative meanings, for the action of "propaganda", I think, is a highly deliberate one. So a propaganda can benefit one side while injuring the other side.

What would the natives say??

celine713

Chinese
    Hi,I got the sense you have pointed out somewhere on the net !Thanks ,I learnt a lot !:)
    Not a voice from a native yet ,perhaps they are not interested in politics,haha ....

JamesM

I don't think that "propaganda" is viewed as a neutral word in AE. We have other words that we would substitute for it if we wanted to indicate a neutral or humorous/harmless designation for progaganda: "spin", "PR", "hype", "spiel", "official line".

Regarding "interdict" vs. "censor", I think the reason that "censor" matches up better with "propagate" because "interdict" can be an action unrelated to the distribution of information.

"Censor" is to suppress information; "propagate" is to distribute information (among other meanings.)

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Propaganda is one of those words that is inherently plural. We don't have a propaganda.

Propaganda is inherently neutral, but as it is seeking to promote a particular point of view, a particular opinion, usually by selective use of facts, whether you regard it as positive or negative depends on whose side you are on.

The general association with unpleasant points of view means that the word is tainted.

swyves

UK English, Living in Peru
    I'd agree that the term is tainted, but I'd think of it as inherently negative, at least in its current usage. It implies the biased transfer of information in order to persuade people of a (typically political) viewpoint that (as it's biased) is probably not true. Certainly in terms of usage one would not use the term to relate to something more neutral such as advertising, as one would in some languages.

When using the term "propagate" I wouldn't be thinking of the link to "propaganda", and vice versa.

celine713

Chinese
    Yes,the word"propaganda" is tainted to some extent,I should be very careful in using it ...better replace it with others ~
    Thank you very much ! :)

nelliot53

Spanish-[PR]; English-[US]
    To choose the antonyms of the word" propagate",choices are "interdict, annotate,censor,feign",among which ,as I see it ,the answer should be "interdict",but the key offered in the book is "censor ".
    Then ,I get confused....

This is what I have found in my dictionary,
    "interdict ":To forbid or debar, especially authoritatively
    "censor":To examine and expurgate.
    propagate:To make widely known; publicize
    So ,I suspect whether the provided answer is incorrect or unsatisfactory....
    Celine,

I suspect the logic here is that you first interdict something (written material, for example) and censor parts you do not wish to propagate.

But I don't see "interdict" and "censor" as antonyms of "propagate".

Does anyone?

maxiogee

Banned
    English
    Propaganda is one of those words that is inherently plural. We don't have a propaganda.

Propaganda is inherently neutral, but as it is seeking to promote a particular point of view, a particular opinion, usually by selective use of facts, whether you regard it as positive or negative depends on whose side you are on.

The general association with unpleasant points of view means that the word is tainted.
    Surely ~ stemming as it does from the Roman Catholic Church's department Sacra Congregatio de Propaganda Fide ~ it is a far from neuitral word. It is all about "our side" and "our view of things" —> it gets it's "innards" from the Latin word for a 'civilian' - paganus (one who is not a soldier of Christ) - from older Latin meaning of a countryman - which itself came from pagus - a village (as opposite of the City of Rome). This meaning is very closely allied with "heathen" - a dweller on the heath.

There is no connection between propagate and propaganda - the root of propagate is "increase".

< Previous | Next >