propagator?

< Previous | Next >

traduttoretradittore

Poland
How to say in one word "a person who disseminates" a sport discipline, eg, football?

eg.
Tom Clancy was the first player and the most dedicated [propagator] of football in China.

• pops91710

English, AE
    I would say protagonist.
    pro·tag·o·nist

noun \prō-ˈta-gə-nist\
    Definition of PROTAGONIST

a : the principal character in a literary work (as a drama or story) b : a leading actor, character, or participant in a literary work or real event

: a leader, proponent, or supporter of a cause : champion

I see nothing "sexy" in disseminator, I just don't think that is what you are asking to say. (???)

Last edited:

traduttoretradittore

Poland
    @pops91710 I shall be literally precise then. I mean disseminator, which could be a derivative of the verb "disseminate" but unfortunately is not, sounds too much like inseminator, and this is why I see it funny.

pops91710

English, AE
    Thanks pops91710, I am also considering "pioneer". And how do you see "propagator"?
    I am not sure that is what Tom was doing. Propagator is a spreader of something, like propaganda. If he is championing the institution of football, then proponent, protagonist, and promulgator (as Jason suggested) seem more to the point of your theme..... Pioneer just doesn't seem quite right here, but if you want to use that, it is your work and it will get the point across rather well!

< Previous | Next >