proper use of "back in time"

< Previous | Next >

Leon_Zhu

Chinese - China
I dont know I understand this word phrase and use it correctly.

"Back in time when I was a kid, I had lived/was living/ lived in a small town."

So first question is what "back in time" means in the sentence? secondly, which one of above different forms of the verb "live" is correct?

Thanks in advance

• Andygc

British English
    Why do you want to use "back in time" when the clause "when I was a kid" tells us that you are writing about the past?

RedwoodGrove

English, USA
    "Back in time" implies movement, so you go back in time in some science fiction context. Then you have three verbal cases or forms (I had lived/was living/ lived ...) All of them are potentially correct, again, depending on context.

"When I was a kid I lived in a small town." That seems the simplest and most basic way to express the ideas. :)

Leon_Zhu

Chinese - China
    "Back in time" implies movement, so you go back in time in some science fiction context. Then you have three verbal cases or forms (I had lived/was living/ lived ...) All of them are potentially correct, again, depending on context.

"When I was a kid I lived in a small town." That seems the simplest and most basic way to express the ideas. :)
    Thanks for your answer :), lets say the context is: I lived there in my childhood, but now I am living in another city. Then which one will be correct?

< Previous | Next >