properties of <a?> conductor and <an?> insulator materials

< Previous | Next >

Oleg_

russian
Hello everyone,

Can you tell me please which of the variants below is correct:

1. The spatial-averaged model averages properties of a conductor and an insulator materials and operates with a new material having these averaged properties.
2. The spatial-averaged model averages properties of conductor and insulator materials and operates with a new material having these averaged properties.

Thank you

• PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    You cannot have a/an qualifying a plural noun (materials).

Conductor and insulator materials = conductor materials and insulator materials. Conductor and insulator are nouns that are adjectivally qualifying "materials" and do not, thus, themselves attract an article.

Oleg_

russian
    Thank you PaulQ,

Maybe I misunderstood something. What if I have different a conductor material and an insulator material but I do not want to repeat "material" for each case?

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    Please write the sentence in the way you described.

"What if I have different a conductor material and an insulator material ..." :cross:
    "What if I have a different conductor material and a [different?] insulator material..." :tick:

Oleg_

russian
    Thank you again PaulQ, the second variant is of course correct. The problem is that I do not want to repeat material twice as in the following sentence:
    "The spatial-averaged model averages properties of a conductor material and an insulator material and operates with a new material having these averaged properties."
    I had an intention to skip one of the words and to use a structure as:
    "The spatial-averaged model averages properties of conductor and insulator materials and operates with a new material having these averaged properties."

Now it seems the structures are not equal

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    "The spatial-averaged model averages properties of a conductor material and an insulator material

I had an intention to skip one of the words and to use a structure as:

"The spatial-averaged model averages properties of both conductor and insulator materials and operates with a new material having these averaged properties."
    The first problem is the verb "to operate" it is very vague. Do you mean to say "... and uses these figures for a new material with these averaged properties." or do you mean something else?

Next, how many samples of conductor and insulation material, at one time, can the spatial-averaged model handle?

Oleg_

russian
    You are absolutely right PaulQ, I mean to say "... and uses these figures for a new material with these averaged properties." At one time the spatial-averaged model can handle one insulator material and one conductor material, just like cooking we put in a bowl two ingredients and get one with new properties

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    The spatial-averaged model averages the properties of a conductor and an insulator material and uses these figures to create a new material with these averaged properties."

the properties => properties are specific
    a conductor and aninsulator -> implies both one and any (i.e. one from a large range)

PS. I have use "create" as the verb as a replacement for "operate": create may not be the correct verb but the sentence does need something more specific than "operate"

< Previous | Next >