propose someone to do something

alsoup

Greek
Hi eveyone,

Is the the following verb pattern correct?
Alex proposed me to join their group..

• Thomas Tompion

English - England
    I'd say not, Alsoup.

As is often the case, when you change the subject you need the longer form:

I propose to go to Chester - the person proposing is the person going to Chester.
    I propose that you should go to Chester - the person proposing is NOT the person going to Chester.

So your sentence should be Alex proposed that I should join their group.

To propose that can take several modal forms. Thus one might say, for instance, Alex proposed that I join their group.

Linkway

British English
    Hi eveyone,

Is the the following verb pattern correct?
    Alex proposed me to join their group..

If you mean 'Alex suggested to me that I join their group' then no, the above is not a good way to write it.

You could say 'Alex proposed that I join their group'.

But take particular care with 'propose' and 'proposal'. They tend to be used in set phrases and in more formal contexts such as 'a business proposal'.

If you say 'John proposed to me' it usually means 'John asked me to marry him'.

Also we propose toasts as in 'The Queen proposed a toast to the visiting President of Argentina'.

Notice that propose in English is usually used with the specific plan/action that is being suggested to someone.

It is usually wrong to use propose + person unless you are in fact nominating them for something to someone else.

e.g. The chairman proposed that Mary should be invited to join the committee.

'John proposed Mary for membership of the group' means that John recommended to the committee that Mary should be invited to join.
    It does NOT mean that John invited Mary directly.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >