"proposed disability"

rock_fox

Taiwan/Tradtional Chinese
I'd like to ask if someone could tell me what does the phrase "proposed disability" mean while they were used as a reason of medical discharge. I'll be very appreciate if someone could answer it for me.

• panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Welcome to WordReference rock_fox.

I would like to be able to help you, but this phrase is a mystery.
    Normally, "proposed" means that something is suggested, but has not yet happened; so "proposed disability" does not make sense to me:(

Would it be possible for you to give us more of the sentence?

rock_fox

panjandrum said:
    Welcome to WordReference rock_fox.

I would like to be able to help you, but this phrase is a mystery.
    Normally, "proposed" means that something is suggested, but has not yet happened; so "proposed disability" does not make sense to me:(

Would it be possible for you to give us more of the sentence?
    the whole sentence goes like "Reason Discharge:1) Recovery "
    2) Death
    3) Medical Inspection
    4) Proposed disability

it might still not make any sence to u but i do appreciate ur help anyways.
    Thanks!!

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    I am still puzzled:)

I searched for references to "proposed disability".
    I found:
    - proposed disability committee,
    - proposed disability legislation,
    - proposed disability rating,
    - proposed disability database,
    - proposed disability payment,
    .... and many more.

But in all the links I can find, proposed and disability are adjectives - which would not make sense in the example you have given.

bartonig

UK English
    I think this is what it seems to be. There is a process to determine if there is or is not a disability and to what degree. At the time of discharge the process has only started and so the disability is only a proposal.

Proudy

USA, English
    I would agree with Bartonig.

I think that in this reference, it means a disibility which has not yet been determined, rather than one which has not yet happened.

An example would be someone who has had a serious accident, and is expected to recover, but is not expected to regain the use of his legs. The extent of the damage is known, the extent of the recovery is not known. It is expected that there will not be a complete recovery, and based on the proposed disability, the person is eligible for discharge.

rock_fox

Thanks for everyone's help.I spend a lot time contacting the author for the meaning og the phrase. And here's the definition I got.

「the meaning of "Proposed Disability" is Proposal of Disability, that is, doctor thinks that the employee is disabled to work, and the process to declare him as "disabled" should start.」

Hope that could also solve ur confusion about "proposed disability", Thnaks!!!

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    rock_fox said:
    [...]Hope that could also solve your confusion about "proposed disability", Thanks!!!
    It does - thank you. You have just confirmed that bartonig and Proudy had worked their way to the correct answer:)

< Previous | Next >