proposer le meilleur poulet grillé

syrita

English [UK]
Hi All

The word 'proposer'

This is a qeustion about nuance. Is there even the slightest humour here that the instructors are getting these kids to cook them lunch under the pretext of it being a survivalist challenge. They are all out camping duringa summer camp. Or as per usual, am I reading way too much into the text?

Le directeur de la colo prétend que la fin du monde est proche et que nous devons apprendre à survivre avec les moyens du bord. Cela passe par la confection d’un mobi‑ lier de plein air, uniquement avec de la ficelle de lieuse, une hache, un couteau et des branches de noisetier... Un matin, nous sommes réveillés par des caquètements. Une flopée de poulets s’égaie parmi nos tentes. Notre mission est simple mais décisive pour nous autres survivalistes, explique le directeur : proposer le meilleur poulet grillé à midi.

How would you translate the word proposer. 'Come up with', 'devise', 'supply' 'make them' (the camp instructors)

Thanks

S

• Enquiring Mind

English - the Queen's
    Hi Syrita, I would stick with "come up with" which, since it doesn't necessarily imply "make" but could just mean "suggest", is as vague as the French "proposer" here, to my mind.
    If there's anything in the rest of the context to suggest that there's going to be neck-wringing, feather-plucking and giblet-pulling, "come up with" is still good enough. (But I rather suspect that said activities would be too much for millennial youngsters these days - if that's what they are - to even contemplate, and the parents would be "outraged" ...)

Last edited:

syrita

English [UK]
    In fact there is a lot of neck-pulling and plucking that comes after. It's a funny description. But there's no humourous implication that the instructors just want their lunch cooked. There isn't a layer of humour here. Sweet innocent little boys doing this for the instructors. If it's not there it's not there!
    Thoughts? Just on reading it.
    S

Enquiring Mind

English - the Queen's
    I find it hard to imagine that youngsters these days at a colonie de vcacances - even a "survivalist" one, would be asked to really slaughter and butcher the poor little chickies. But you're surely on safe ground at this point in the text (regardless of frenzied squawking and feathers flying later on) with "come up with" for "proposer". The risk is that you read something more precise into "proposer" than the author intended - always a bit of a minefield.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >