Proprietary appliance

< Previous | Next >

Tipoutiou

French
Hi every one! I'm trying to understand the meaning of "proprietary appliance" in the following sentence :

"Proprietary appliance testing equipment (“plug & play”) is normally used for combined inspection and tests"

This sentence is taken from a procedure on electrical appliances testing.

Does anyone know what it means?

Thank you for your help

• manfy

German - Austria
    :thumbsup:
    Additionally it's worth pointing out that 'proprietary' modifies the compound noun 'appliance testing equipment' and not just 'appliance'.

Tipoutiou

French
    I know of this definition but I wasn't sure if there was another meaning possible in this particular case.

Thanks for your help. :)

Uncle Jack

British English
    In this case "proprietary" generally means commercially available and specific to that purpose (and therefore complying with appropriate legislation). In terms of the definition LC posts, it would mean it is sold under a brand name. Home-made or improvised equipment is not usually used.

london calling

UK English
    In this case "proprietary" generally means commercially available and specific to that purpose (and therefore complying with appropriate legislation). In terms of the definition LC posts, it would mean it is sold under a brand name. Home-made or improvised equipment is not usually used.
    The definition also say 'patent' or formula'. If a company designs and builds its own test equipment it is 'proprietary' Where I work (a rail engineering firm) our engineers have done just on occasion, because they needed something specific to the purpose which wasn't available on the market.

< Previous | Next >