Protagoras, or whoever it was

longxianchen

chinese
Hi,
Here are some words from the novel Lady Chatterley's Lover( para.42) by Lawrence (the University of Adelaide,
here):
It’s a curious thing that the mental life seems to flourish with its roots in spite, ineffable and fathomless spite. Always has been so!Look at Socrates, in Plato(
meaning in Plato's works I think), and his bunch round him! The sheer spite of it all, just sheer joy in pulling somebody else to bits . . . Protagoras, or whoever it was! And Alcibiades, and all the other little disciple dogs joining in the fray!

Could you please tell me who critised whom? Both Protagoras and Socrates criticised others, or they critised each other?
I analyse:
Protagoras was criticised by Socrates, and then Alcibiades and other disciple dogs(what's the meaning disciple dogs by the way) joined in the fray between Protagoras and Socrates . Of course, it's still not clear who Alcibiades and other disciple dogs helped.

Thank you in advance

Last edited:
  • entangledbank

English - South-East England
    You can't tell this just from those words, but it refers to Plato's dialogue Protagoras, which features the Sophist teacher Protagoras and (inevitably) Socrates. Equally inevitably, Socrates runs rings around Protagoras and shows his ideas up as nonsense. (I can't even remember reading the Protagoras, but I know if he was a rival teacher of wisdom, he came out of the encounter badly, this being Plato.) In (the works of) Plato, Socrates always makes his opponents look bad. So I think you're right, and the criticism is one-way: Socrates criticized Protagoras. As I said, you don't get that just out of the words 'Protagoras, or whoever it was!' The disciples referred to are those of Socrates, yapping like dogs joining in a dogfight.

I'm now getting mixed up with an unrelated thread happening at this same time, and thinking of Socrates as Alex from A Clockwork Orange, going down to the Piraeus Milk Bar with his three droogs, and tolchocking some old Sophist in an alley.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >