protein / egg white

Erebos12345

Canadian English
So, egg whites have been known to be a good source of protein and many languages acknowledge this by having similar words for both. What about your language?

Thanks

I'll start us off with Chinese:
egg white
egg white "substance", ie. protein

• Awwal12

Russian
    So, egg whites have been known to be a good source of protein and many languages acknowledge this by having similar words for both.
    That rather comes from the fact that albumin of egg whites was one of the first scientifically described proteins, although I didn't study the topic thoroughly.
    Anyway, in Russian these are simply homonyms: белок (belók), from белый (bélyi)/бел (bel) "white" (adj.).

apmoy70

Greek
    Greek:

Colloquially, egg white is «ασπράδι» [asˈpra.ði] (neut.) --> white < Byz. Greek adj. «ἄσπρος» áspros --> white («ἄσπρος» is from the name of the low-value coins in the Byzantine Empire which were called «ἄσπρα» áspra (neut. nom. pl.), from the Latin aspera, pl. neut. of nummus asper; asper means rough, harsh, especially the hand cut coins of the era; in time, all recently cut (and thus shiny) rough coins were called «ἄσπρα» which became synonymous with white colour) + Byz. Greek neuter diminutive suffix «-δι(ον)» -di(on).
    The protein is called «λεύκωμα» [ˈlef.kɔ.ma] (neut.) < Classical adj. «λευκός» leu̯kós --> bright, shining, (colour) white.
    In Classical Greek the egg white is also «λεύκωμα» leú̯kōmă (neut.).

There's also the dialectal name «γαλανό» [ɣa.laˈnɔ] (neut.) for it --> milk white < Classical neuter noun «γάλα» gắlă --> milk.
    Not to be confused with the Standard MoGr adj. «γαλανός, -νή, -νό» [ɣa.laˈnɔs] (masc.), [ɣa.laˈni] (fem.), [ɣa.laˈnɔ] (neut.) --> sky blue which has a different root (< Koine name of a blue-green coloured gem, «κάλλαϊς» kắllăĭs (fem.) which produced the adj. «καλάινος» kălắĭnŏs --> blue-green, bluish > Byz. Greek «γαλανός» galanós).

Circunflejo

Castellano de Castilla
    Spanish:

Egg White is usually said clara de huevo (although albumen exist too).
    Egg White protein, like in Italian, there's albúmina but the general term from protein is proteína.

bibax

Czech (Prague)
    Czech:

egg white: bílek m. < bílý (= white);
    protein: bílkovina f. < bílek;

They are scientific terms as well (protein is also used).

Last edited:

Yendred

Français - France
    French:

blanc d'oeuf = egg white
    protéine = protein
    albumine = albumin

As said before, albumin comes from Latin albus = white, and Latin called egg white "albumen", which is the scientific name for egg white in English, French, Spanish and I guess many other languages.

Last edited:

momai

Arabic - Syria
    Arabic:
    egg white: al-zulaal, al-'aaħ or bayaaDu al-bayD (bayaaD: whiteness, bayD: egg -> They share a common root as you probably have noticed).
    protein: broteen (loanword)

Armas

Finnish
    Finnish:

We can use one word for both: valkuainen < valkea, valkoinen, valko- "white", or we can use the word valkuaisaine (< valkuainen + aine "matter, material") for protein.

Edit: valkuainen is also the white of the eye.

nimak

Macedonian
    Macedonian

бел
    (bel) adj.masc. - "white", color
    белка (bélka) n.fem. - "egg white"; bel+ka = -ka is a suffix appended to words to create a feminine noun
    белковинa (belkóvina) n.fem. - "protein"; bel+k(a)ov+ina= -ov is a possessive suffix; -ina is a suffix to create a feminine noun

The word протеин (protein) n.masc. - "protein" is also used

Last edited:

bibax

Czech (Prague)
    Slovak:

egg white: bielok < biely = white;
    protein: bielkovina;

Anyway, in Russian these are simply homonyms: белок (belók), ...
    In Russian, protein also: белко́вое вещество́ (egg-white material, вещество́ = matter, material), cf. Finnish;

Last edited:

Olaszinhok

Italian
    By the way, I've got a question. Does the word protein/proteina exist in the Slavic languages? I mean, I've read "proteina" in Russian, for instance. Does it essentially have a scientific meaning?

bibax

Czech (Prague)
    In Czech we use both bílkovina and protein. Paradoxically, bílkovina and bílkovinný (adj.) are used in most scientific texts. Protein is commonly used in connection with food and sport, the food producers like the word (e.g. proteinová tyčinka = protein bar, vysoký obsah proteinů = high content of proteins).

Russian also uses протеин (протеина is genitive).

Last edited:

nimak

Macedonian
    Bulgarian

бял
    (byal) adj.masc. - "white", color; белият (beliyat) adj.masc. - "the white"
    белтък (beltǎk) n.masc. - "egg white"
    протеин (protein) n.masc. - "protein", but also белтък (beltǎk), белтъчина (beltǎčina)

Last edited:

Erebos12345

Canadian English
    I’ll add Hebrew to the mix:

Both can be translated as חלבון helbon.

You can add ביצה beysta (egg) after—— חלבון ביצה to make it clear you mean egg white.

Looking at the word now, I presume it originated from the root לבן white.

Looks like פרוטאין protein is also used.

AndrasBP

Hungarian
    Hungarian:

fehér - white
    fehérje - protein
    tojásfehérje - egg white (tojás = egg)

Lithuanian:

baltas -
    white
    baltymai - protein
    kiaušinių baltymai - egg white

Zec

Croatian
    Croatian:

white: bijel
    egg white: bjelanjak
    protein: bjelančevina or protein

"protein" is litteraly "egg white substance"

Welsh_Sion

Welsh - Northern
    Welsh:

gwyn ŵy / gwynwy ŵy = white of an egg. (Don't worry, <w> and <y> are vowels!)
    albumin = albwmin
    protein = protein

('melynwy ŵy' = yolk (lit. 'yellow of the egg')).

Who remembers the old joke?

'Which is correct? The yolk of an egg IS white or The yolk of an egg ARE white?')

:D

< Previous | Next >