Portuguese to English proveitoso

Dictionary entry: proveitoso
< Previous | Next >

SalsaPicante

English - United States (New York)
The translation in English to this word is shown as benefic and I think it's supposed to be beneficial

• casaleiro

Dictionary Editor
    English - Ireland
    The translation in English to this word is shown as benefic and I think it's supposed to be beneficial
    Hello, thanks for pointing this out. The word should indeed be 'beneficial'. As far as I can see the correction is underway in the dictionary.

casaleiro

Dictionary Editor
    English - Ireland
    Hello :) Please excuse me for deleting your answer above. I'm new to this and I haven't really figured out what's what.

Benefic appears in some dictionaries, yes. But that doesn't mean that it's a good translation. Firstly, most attested occurrences of this word are specific to the semantic field of astrology. Secondly, the word seems to be obsolete, or at least vanishingly rare, which means that it is of very limited value to our users. In 50 years I have never encountered this word, until today.

MeggieBR

Dictionary Editor
    Portuguese - Brazil
    Hello :) Please excuse me for deleting your answer above. I'm new to this and I haven't really figured out what's what.

Benefic appears in some dictionaries, yes. But that doesn't mean that it's a good translation. Firstly, most attested occurrences of this word are specific to the semantic field of astrology. Secondly, the word seems to be obsolete, or at least vanishingly rare, which means that it is of very limited value to our users. In 50 years I have never encountered this word, until today.
    Ok, no problem :) And thanks for clarifying.

< Previous | Next >