provided such action was consistent with laws of war such as proportionality and minimizing unintended harm to civilians.

shiness

Korean, South Korea.
"We see that as certainly within our realm," provided such action was consistent with laws of war such as proportionality and minimizing unintended harm to civilians, he told reporters at a briefing after Wynne's announcement.

Hey WordReference Forums.

Of the above detached copy of a web news article, I find myself in confusion to come to understanding of its indication. Specifically where I've marked them in blue. Would you restate the phrase in question or simply tell me what I'm short of in understanding this? I've looked up the meaning of "Proportionality" in the dictionary and still, I can't form a possible sense of what it should stand for in this english sentence.

People here are such a great reliability and help to me.

Thanks.

• timpeac

English (England)
    I interpret it as saying that there are "laws of war", perhaps certain acts that you should never inflict on your enemies because the acts are so evil, and that one of these "laws" is the "law of proportionality". I would guess that this implies that you should not overreact in a war. Say you are a strong country and a weak one puts a trade embargo on you, then you should not react by invading that country and murdering every citizen.

Kelly B

USA English
    I agree.

We could do that, if doing that fits within the rules of war. Those include maintaining a balance between what we do and what they've done, and keeping accidental harm to civilians as low as possible.

< Previous | Next >