province de Canton

dawid

French
Hi there,

I'm wondering how to say province de Canton in English, as referring to the province that includes Canton: Guangdong being the chinese name.

Do you say:

- province of Canton
- Canton province
?

Thanks in advance!

• Aoyama

français Clodoaldien
    I'd say Guangdong province.
    First because "pin yin" (the Chinese phonetical transcription) is what is officially recognized, second because (sometimes) Guangdong refers to the province and Canton refers to the city (though normally Guangdong should be used for both).
    This being said, your thread should better belong to the English Only section.

dawid

French
    Thanks for your replies

The thing is most of English speaking people I've talked to don't know the name Guangdong (They are from USA and Australia). And I want to precise the province name on that specific purpose: to make it clear for them to understand what I'm talking about.

As for
    though normally Guangdong should be used for both
    This is not correct.
    Guangdong is only the province! The city of Canton, in chinese pin yin is Guangzhou. ;)

Aoyama

français Clodoaldien
    though normally Guangdong should be used for both This is not correct.
    Guangdong is only the province! The city of Canton, in Chinese pin yin is Guangzhou.
    Well, you are basically right for the way it is used now, though originally Canton (city) = Guangdong, Guangzhou being written with a different (zhou) character .
    But discussing Chinese would be off-topic here.

< Previous | Next >