Provisional

< Previous | Next >
  • Meeracat

It usually means that the person is 'acting in a temporary capacity, at least for the moment'. 'They are doing a job at the moment but are waiting for confirmation that they will do it on a permanent basis.' 'Providing for immediate needs only'.

KoTatyana

Russia, Russian
    I have in an article introduction of the author: 'Willem Lammers, PTSTA, is a Certified Clinical Transactional Analyst and a licensed psychologist and psychotherapist.'
    Can PTSTA in this case mean something like an advisor, a person called to help in cases when regular analysts cannot do anything?

Meeracat

I would suggest that PTSA in this case represents either a qualification or a membership to some professional organisation. (the TA in PTSTA might stand for Transactional Analysis). Of itself it gives no information unless you know what the letters stand for.

KoTatyana

Russia, Russian
    Yes, of course, I know what PTSTA stands for. It stands for Provisional Teaching and Supervising Transactional Analyst.

I can understand what a teaching and supervising transactional analyst may be -- a transactional analyst who tereaches others how to use transactional analysis, but why he is provisional, I don't understand.

Lexiphile

England English
    Perhaps, even though he's licensed as a Transactional Analyst, he's not yet fully licensed for Teaching and Supervision.

KoTatyana

Russia, Russian
    To Lexiphile: Yes, this may be right. I've been surfing the Internet and found another introduction of this person which says: 'Willem Lammers, MSc, is a clinical and social psychologist, a licensed psychotherapist, and a consultant to people and organizations. He is also a certified Teaching and Supervising Transactional Analyst (TSTA). '

KoTatyana

Russia, Russian
    Yes! I've finally found a clear explanarion what a PTSTA is (sorry, but I can't post the URL of the source yet):
    Training Levels
    C.T.A – CERTIFIED TRANSACTIONAL ANALYST: This is the first level certification Candidates who wish to take up this exam has to under go continuous training with a supervisor and appear for a written and oral exam, after fulfilling all the requirements put forth by the BOC and the TSC. CTAs can apply TA in their field of work, but cannot train others to become CTAs.
    P.T.S.T.A. – PROVISIONAL TEACHING AND SUPERVISING TRANSACTIONAL ANALYST: CTAs who fulfill the requirements put forth by the BOC and the TSC have to undergo a Training Endorsement Workshop (TEW) conducted by the BOC. Those who successfully complete the TEW can sign a TSTA contract with a TSTA and will be called the PTSTA. PTSTAs can teach, train and give supervision under the supervision of a TSTA.
    T.S.T.A. – TEACHING AND SUPERVISING TRANSACTIONAL ANALYST: PTSTAs who fulfill the requirements put forth by the BOC and TSC have to appear for a 3-round exam. Those who pass this shall become TSTAs and are authorized to train people to become CTAs and TSTAs and teach TA independently.

< Previous | Next >