...prowling packs of aspiring nature jockey

< Previous | Next >

danel32

Estonian - Estonia
Narrator talking about David Attenborough's narration style and commenting: But is this style of presenting now seen as uncool in the steamy jungle of tabloid television with its prowling packs of aspiring nature jockeys? Or is there life in the old dog yet?

Meaning of this bold shrift are baffling for me. Please help me understand meaning of that figurative part of sentence.

• suzi br

English / England
    David Attenborough has been doing nature programmes for decades, so his style of presenting is well known.
    The overall meaning is this: is his style seen as dated by the new generation of nature-film presenters?

The author has used an extended metaphor of wild-life to talk about the issue.

The presenters are described as a numerous: a prowling pack.
    They are in a crowded world of commercial television: the steamy jungle of tabloid television.
    The word jockey used to be a horse-rider, then someone who played records (a disc jockey) I am not used to seeing it this way "nature jockeys" but it obviously means the presenter of a nature programme.

If you told us where you found this we might be able to say more, more accurately.

danel32

Estonian - Estonia
    Thank you, suzi br! It was in Atteborough series "Life on Air". I'm understand meaning now, thank you!

< Previous | Next >