"psychedelic" or "psychodelic"?

< Previous | Next >

dn88

Polish
Hello everyone,

As in the title of my thread, I'd like to ask you, native speakers of English, whether both variants are correct. If so, then I believe that the "e" version is much more common, also according to my google matches:

Results 1 - 10 of about 16,900,000 for psychedelic
Results 1 - 10 of about 420,000 for psychodelic

In this case I have to assume that it is derived from the word "psyche", not formed by adding the prefix "psych(o)-". Here I would like you to opine on this matter. I guess you'll probably say that the "e" version is your preferred one, anyway, I hope your opinions will shed some light on this.

Any help highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

dn88

• Matching Mole

England, English
    Only the "e" spelling appears in a proper dictionary.

Nearly all the instances on google of the "o" spelling are simple mis-spellings. A couple of not very reliable sources cite the "o" spelling as a description of a psychedelic drug, perhaps it has a special meaning in some branch of medicine when spelled like that, but I am sceptical.

I would strongly suggest you reject the "o" spelling.

difficult cuss

English England
    Hi DN88,

This has been mentioned before, but it is worth repeating, using a search engine for spelling or word usage is not a reliable method. Websites are often unedited, or poorly edited, mistakes are made and then repeated.
    I would advise avoiding them for spell/usage checking.

dn88

Polish
    Only the "e" spelling appears in a proper dictionary.

Nearly all the instances on google of the "o" spelling are simple mis-spellings. A couple of not very reliable sources cite the "o" spelling as a description of a psychedelic drug, perhaps it has a special meaning in some branch of medicine when spelled like that, but I am sceptical.

I would strongly suggest you reject the "o" spelling.
    Thank you all.

I don't know how credible is this, but I doubt there are that many misspelings. So are both acceptable (according to this source)?

AWordLover

USA English

Matching Mole

England, English
    I saw that initially AWL, but as it is one of the very few citations to be found, I'm not inclined to to trust it, particularly as it gives no justification as to why it might differ from the conventional spelling; the definition is extremely non-technical and differs in no substantial way to that of "psychedelic" (in fact it is more vague).

dn88

Polish
    Thank you for the answers. Coincidentally, I have also a similar problem with its Polish equivalent. But in Polish it's all reversed - the "o" version is far more common (psychodeliczny) and probably correct. I believe they have the same origin and don't know where all those discrepancies come from. But that's just another kettle of fish (which seems a bit off-topic in the English only forum:D). Thanks once again.

ireney

Modistra
    Greek Greece Mod of Greek, CC and CD
    a) for what is worth, the Greek language which took the word from the English language (in which the word was formed using Greek words :D ) uses "e" so, unless the spelling has changed since we insoprorated the word in our language I present this as an added "proof" that the right form is "psycedelic" (at least this "proof" carried more weight than the fact that I am personally confident this is the only right spelling)

b) dn88 you are right, you should probably ask in the Greek forum although if you do few people will see it and/or reply :D

liliput

U.K. English
    Whilst many other English words derived from "psyche" have exchanged the e for an o (psychology, psychopath, etc.) I'm firmly with MM on this one: Psychodelic is simply wrong, use psychedelic.

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Searching medical databases for psychodelic.
    Cochrane - none found (33 for psychedelic)
    Pubmed - 7 found (201 for psychedelic).
    1. Croatian - abstract in English.
    2. Croatian - ...
    3. Polish - ...
    4. Italian - ...
    5. German - ...
    6. English
    7. English
    Pubmed searches some 17 million citations going back to the 1950s.

< Previous | Next >