puberty va. adolescence

jokaec

Chinese - Hong Kong
The some kids will become very rebellious when "puberty" or "adolescence" starts.

Are they both correct? Thank you!

• PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    As a statement of a generality, yes. But puberty and adolescence have different meanings. It is not possible to say when "adolescence" starts - "adolescence" is a somewhat subjective term. It is relatively easy to detect [the exterior effects of] rising hormone levels to indicate a rough onset of puberty.

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    As a statement of a generality, yes. But puberty and adolescence have different meanings. It is not possible to say when "adolescence" starts - "adolescence" is a somewhat subjective term. It is relatively easy to detect [the exterior effects of] rising hormone levels to indicate a rough onset of puberty.
    I would venture the distinction that puberty is biological and adolescence is psychological:) Adolescence usually begins at puberty and continues thereafter...

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    :thumbsup:Yes, there's a cause and effect relationship between puberty and adolescence. I don't see adolescence and starting collocating very well, as "adolescence" is more nebulous.

Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    I don't see adolescence and starting collocating very well, as "adolescence" is more nebulous.
    Our WR dictionary is rather clinical about it and describes adolescence as the period between (the beginning of) puberty and adulthood.
    In general, which one has better collocation with "rebellious phase"?
    I'd say adolescence. Of course, some people remain in this "phase" forever. :rolleyes:

< Previous | Next >