publishing sheet?

Renatrix

polski
Is there a word in English used in publishing to describe the size of a book, article, etc., other than pages? In some (non-English-speaking) countries, a "publishing/publisher's sheet" is used, which means 40,000 characters (while standard page is usually 1500-1800 characters). If a book has, say, 10 "publishing sheets," it means it has about 400,000 characters. I don't think the term publishing sheet or publisher's sheet is used in English-speaking publishing - is there an equivalent?

• DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    I don't think so, no. I used to work in a library and I never came across the term "publisher's/publishing sheet". :(

As far as books are concerned, it's almost always the number of pages which is used to describe the size, but with essays and journal articles, the number of words is sometimes used instead.

sdgraham

USA English
    Note that you cannot precisely relate the number of pages (or columns) to the number of words or characters without taking into account the type face, type size, white space surrounding text, etc.

I've never heard "publishing sheet." Newspapers (U.S.) generally talk about "column inches," taking all of the above into account.

Renatrix

polski
    Note that you cannot precisely relate the number of pages (or columns) to the number of words or characters without taking into account the type face, type size, white space surrounding text, etc.

I've never heard "publishing sheet." Newspapers (U.S.) generally talk about "column inches," taking all of the above into account.
    That's right. That's why a standard page and a "publishing sheet" are used for authors, translators, etc. They each have a specific number of characters to know the size of a work and they usually have nothing to do with actual paper pages or word processor pages.
    From what both you, Sdgraham, and DonnyB are saying, "publishing sheets" are not used as standard units to calculate the length of a text. Now how do authors know how long their papers can be to be published?

Egmont

English - U.S.
    I've written half a dozen or so books, three of them published by major publishers with a fourth in progress now, and too many professional papers to count right now. Usually, a length specification is given in terms of word count, typically with a word such as "approximately" or a range such as "800 to 1,200." My current contract says "approximately 500 manuscript pages," but also requires me to use a specific Microsoft Word template and style sheet* in preparing the manuscript so the publisher knows how much space a manuscript page will take up in the finished book. Like others, I have never heard the term "publishing sheet" used for this purpose in English - and, by this point, I think I would have if it was used at all.

Last edited:

Renatrix

polski
    Thanks, Egmont. It's another confirmation that this term is not used in English and an equivalent probably doesn't exist.
    Good luck with your book!

< Previous | Next >