pudding club

perpend

Banned
American English
This is from a glossy book about Rio, from Time Life Books: ... then what I know now I'd have got straight off the plane when I got here and gone and got a bird in the pudding club right away.

Does "pudding club" mean being pregnant or being a mother?

The interviewee is Ronald Biggs from a major theft.

Last edited:
  • velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    There's also the expression "She has a bun in the oven", so I'm inclined to see it as a culinary metaphor - without a shred of evidence though.

perpend

Banned
    American English
    I think I get it. I've always found it a bit distasteful to consider a fetus as a "bun in the oven".

I'd find it equally distasteful to call it "pudding".

So:
    Yuck AmE.
    Yuck BrE.

DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    So:
    Yuck AmE.
    Yuck BrE.
    That may be why it got generally shortened to just "in the club".

But really, the whole phrase "got a bird in the [pudding] club" sounds incredibly 1960s to me, and I doubt anyone would say it nowadays. :eek:

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    These expressions could be used as euphemisms by women gossipping, when they had small, inquisitive children around. It was assumed that the kids would not know what they were really talking about.

Few women bake their own buns, and few small children today are so innocent of the facts of life.

Hermione Golightly

British English
    There is or was also the expression 'up the duff'. I suppose this is up the plum duff which is a sort of boiled pud with fruit in. I think it's rather amusing, if a bit crude.
    The word 'pregnant' had the same taboo status as 'cancer' on the planet I grew up on, anyway.

perpend

Banned
    American English
    I suppose this is up the plum duff which is a sort of boiled pud with fruit in. I think it's rather amusing, if a bit crude.
    The word 'pregnant' had the same taboo status as 'cancer' on the planet I grew up on, anyway.
    How do you get fruit in a pud(?)---BrE speakers never cease to amaze. I think you make this stuff up. *Kidding* like *Pudding*

I concur about the PC-level of "pregnant" and "cancer" over the ... long ... winding ... years, Hermione.

Sad, really.

< Previous | Next >