Pull me under?

Arguset

Catalonia, Spain
Hi! :)
I'm a big fan of a metal band called Dream Theater. One of their songs is called pull me under? What does "Pull me under" mean in this sentence? I bring you the part of the song which this sentence is repeated over and over. Thanks for your help!!!! ;)

Pull me under
Pull me under
Pull me under
I'm not afraid
All that I feel is honor and spite
All I can do is set it right

• TimLA

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    Generally, "Pull me under" has a meaning of "pull me under something" often the water - to drown.

In this case, after reading the lyrics, it most likely means "kill me" "let me die" or something similar. The song talks about "Every step brings me closer to my last" and other allusions to death.

Arguset

Catalonia, Spain
    ok, thankyou! you ask me for a longer extention of lyrics. As there is a rule which bans me to do so, I'll send you a link with the song lyrics:

CLICK HERE

It's the first song listed. Thanks again for your attention! ;)

Salmantina

Het Brabantsche land, the Netherlands
    Hi,

I´m not completely sure, but I read the lyrics and I think it´s about the hustle and bustle (¿jaleo?) that life can be sometimes. I think the singer is trying to say "bring it on! Whatever happens, I´m not affraid of it (in other words: "pull me under"). Please correct me if I´m wrong.

Dream Theater rules! :)

Greetings

Arguset

Catalonia, Spain
    Hi,

I´m not completely sure, but I read the lyrics and I think it´s about the hustle and bustle (¿jaleo?) that life can be sometimes. I think the singer is trying to say "bring it on! Whatever happens, I´m not affraid of it (in other words: "pull me under"). Please correct me if I´m wrong.

Dream Theater rules! :)

Greetings
    Yes, Salamantina. I think you're right. When Dream Theater sings Pull me under, it could be perfectly, bring it on or come on with it. So, thank you so much for your help! :thumbsup:

And, please, if anyone has another opinion about it, let me know. Eternally thankful!

difficult cuss

English England
    I suggest (after dragging myself through the 3rd class lyrics) that the point of the line is simply to fit the tune. Using the "it's up to the listener to make what they will of it" approach. Anything slightly suggestive, evocative etc being fair game.

< Previous | Next >