pull up [a graph]

VicNicSor

Banned
Russian
The speaker is sitting at her table, talking to us. From time to time, animated graphs are drawn as we're looking at them. Just before another one, she says:
Let's pull up another graph where we'll plot the derivative, and put little dots where we know it'll be zero.
Derivatives: Crash Course Physics #2, video by CrashCourse
Derivatives_ Crash Course Physics #2.avi_20170816_184618.770.jpg click

I couldn't find the meaning of "pull up" which would make sense here:(
Thank you.

• heypresto

English - England
    It's the verb I've almost always heard in this context.

The closest dictionary definition I can find is this, from the OED: 11. trans. orig. and chiefly U.S. To extract or retrieve (information, a file, etc.).

Packard

USA, English
    I also agree that "pull up" is used in this context. I can only imagine that the original referred to documents carried in a file box from which the speaker would "pull up" a document. But this is just supposition on my part; it is not based on any real information.

Piatkow

English - London
    Cololoquially I have heard it used in connection with opening a file on a computer, particularly a graphics file, which seems to be the sense here.

Dretagoto

Inglés británico
    I think Packard's conjecture makes sense, particularly in the way that file cabinets/desks etc. became metaphors for the use of documents, interfaces and storage spaces in computing.

In this case it means "bring to the fore/display/select from the group", and you could also see "bring up" used instead of "pull up" in exactly the same manner. But you can understand it to mean "show" or "display" (as the others have said, the "pull" part refers to the idea of something being lifted out of storage, but the end result is that it is being shown).

srk

English - US
    I can only imagine that the original referred to documents carried in a file box from which the speaker would "pull up" a document.
    Even today, charts are literally pulled up (from where they are out of sight) onto an easel for presentation.
    chart on easel.jpg
    Not long ago, (maybe still), transparent slides were pulled up out of a slotted box, placed in a sliding rack on a projector, and positioned between a light source and lens for projection onto a screen.
    slide projector.JPG

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >