pulled that <down> 45 minutes ago off

Discussion in 'English Only' started by VicNicSor, Mar 13, 2018.

1. VicNicSor

VicNicSor Senior Member

Russia
    Russian
    Mulder's geek friends inform Scully that Mulder disappeared, and when Scully asks from what, they say:
    — From the national reconnaissance office's lacrosse mid-latitude imaging radar satellite. [and show her a list of paper with some technical information, coordinates or something] We pulled that down 45 minutes ago off the NRO satellite, which early this morning sent a picture of a ship which inexplicably appeared in the middle of the Atlantic.
    The X-Files, episode Triangle

How do I understand the word "down" here?
    Thank you.

2. heypresto

heypresto Senior Member

South East England
    English - England
    From the satellite down to Earth, or down to here.

It's definition #1 in the WR Dictionary: from higher to lower; toward or into a lower position or level:

3. VicNicSor

VicNicSor Senior Member

Russia
    Russian
    And it's optional here, right?:)

4. heypresto

heypresto Senior Member

South East England
    English - England
    Possibly, but I think it would sound odd to say 'We pulled that 45 minutes ago off the NRO satellite . . . '.

5. VicNicSor

VicNicSor Senior Member

Russia
    Russian
    Thank you.

6. Archilochus Senior Member

New Mexico
    American English
    'How do I understand the word "down" here?'

As part of the English phrasal verb 'to pull down'. English phrasal verbs can be difficult for learners of English. You might want to look at this: Phrasal Verb.

7. VicNicSor

VicNicSor Senior Member

Russia
    Russian
    If you mean that "down" here is not, as hp said, "from higher to lower; toward or into a lower position or level:", but part of the phrasal verb "pull down", what does this verb mean, please? Before starting the thread I looked for "pull down", but found nothing relevant to the context...

8. Archilochus Senior Member

New Mexico
    American English
    "pull down" here means "download". Do look at the link I provided.

9. VicNicSor

VicNicSor Senior Member

Russia
    Russian
    I know about phrasal verbs:)

And I understand that in this context it means something, like you said, "download". But is that one of the meanings of the pharsal verb "pull down"? It's just I didn't find it anywhere.

Or is it "pull" meaning "obtain (information)" + the usual meaning of "down".

10. heypresto

heypresto Senior Member

South East England
    English - England
    The 'down' part of the phrasal verb means 'down' in the sense I gave above.

That's how I understand it, yes.

11. Archilochus Senior Member

New Mexico
    American English
    With reference to satellites, "download" has become one of the meanings of "pull down". I read something the other day that said as soon as a dictionary is published, it's out-of-date:). As my sig says, English is a semantically fluid language.