punch the wrong chad

< Previous | Next >

DJBossHun

Hello!

Please someone tell me, when the adage "punch the wrong chad" is used.
The whole sentence is:
(about a US state, Florida)
"God told them to punch the wrong chad."

Thank you!

Edit: I've found that punching the chad could be the process when you make holes into a piece of paper using for example a puncturing. Am I right?

• sdgraham

USA English
    "Chad" is a time-honored term referring to little bits of paper punched out of a larger card, paper tape, etc..

It was a well-known term among those who worked with punched tape receivers and transmitters associated with teletype signals, etc. Until 2000, however, the term wasn't in general use in the U.S. (It was one of my favorites for small side bets)

Things changed, however, when attention was centered upon the punch-card voting system used in Florida where the U.S. presidential election was so close, the accuracy of the system was brought into question.

Multiple questions arose about a hole with part of the "chad" still attached to it. It would have been funny if so much hadn't depended upon the outcome.

Because of the Florida election, "chad" became well-known in the U.S. vocabulary. I would say "punching out the right hole," but you've got the meaning.

< Previous | Next >