punctuation before full sentence in parentheses?

Capital1

English-Ireland
Hi there,

If I want to put a full sentence in parentheses, should there be a full stop ending the previous sentence before the parenthetical sentence begins?

Also, should the parenthetical sentence start with a capital?

For example:

The results showed that there was very little difference between the two groups. (Previous results showed a more significant difference between the two).

Not my work and I need to keep the parentheses.
Many thanks.

• entangledbank

English - South-East England
    No, put the closing parenthesis after the full stop. The parenthesized sentence is not inside any other sentence, as it is here:

The results showed that there was very little difference between the two groups (previous results showed a more significant difference between the two).

There the final full stop closes the enclosing sentence. In your version, the parenthesized sentence is wholly separate, so it needs its own internal full stop to close it. Or the version I gave above is also possible: your choice. If they're conceptually separate sentences, it might be better to keep them separate.

Capital1

English-Ireland
    No, put the closing parenthesis after the full stop. The parenthesized sentence is not inside any other sentence, as it is here:

The results showed that there was very little difference between the two groups (previous results showed a more significant difference between the two).

There the final full stop closes the enclosing sentence. In your version, the parenthesized sentence is wholly separate, so it needs its own internal full stop to close it. Or the version I gave above is also possible: your choice. If they're conceptually separate sentences, it might be better to keep them separate.
    Thanks very much!

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    If I want to put a full sentence in parentheses, should there be a full stop ending the previous sentence before the parenthetical sentence begins?

Also, should the parenthetical sentence start with a capital?

For example:

The results showed that there was very little difference between the two groups. (Previous results showed a more significant difference between the two).
    Yes, you've done it correctly.

< Previous | Next >